Does anyway use escalators to generate electricty

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using the escalators in a large baseball stadium to generate electricity by using them as generators. However, it was determined that this would not be practical due to safety concerns and the small amount of energy that could be generated. Additionally, there was a potential bottleneck issue with people exiting the escalators, which could pose a danger.
DTM
I was at a large baseball stadium today and they had escalators to bring everyone up to the upper levels at the beginning of the game. At the end of the game, when everyone was leaving, the escalators were shut off and blocked off and everyone was walking down ramps to exit. I was thinking it should be possible to have everyone take the escalators down and the motors could be used as generators to generate electricity to sell back to the electric company. Does anyone do this? Is there a practical reason why this wouldn't work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would assume that under normal static powered off conditions the escalators would be designed so that even at full load no movement would occur. This would be a safety feature. If there is a power outage you don't want them to accelerate and injure anyone. In order to generate power you would need to maintain constant speed under some sort of electric and/or mechanical control. If that mechanism fails people die. See the accidents that plagued China for a while where the tracks came undone and thousands of pounds of people and machinery came crashing down.

BoB

Bob, Thanks for the response. Good points about the safety. I was thinking if you used a DC motor, battery and inverter, the speed would not need to be constant. You would also need to have an auxiliary brake to control the maximum speed. I'm thinking this could work very similar to how hybrid electric cars work, using the motors as generators to apply regenerative braking, but having additional brakes kick in when needed.

You need to control the speed for rider comfort. If you make it run normal speed during full load it will barely move with one person. Having it change speed mid ride would cause panic. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work but it would be unsafe.

With the hybrid design you will always get normal braking when pressing hard on the pedal. Industry standard automotive safety practices will apply. In a total power loss situation you will get a bog-standard un-assisted hydraulic brake.

I suppose you could design an emergency stop into to escalator but that adds cost and a point of failure.

Lets assume you have one 100kg person and they are at the top of a 10m escalator. The total energy you have available is 9.81kJ or 2.73Wh. Now you empty 100000 people from that arena. You have a total of 273kWh. At 100% efficiency you are talking about $20 of electricity. Probably a lot less at the rate that a stadium would get power but a ballpark estimate. You will get a lot less than 100%. Let's assume 50% (probably still very generous). Those 100000 people will be riding many escalators. Let's assume Shea stadium ratio of riders to escalators and you need 38 of them. Now you have about a quarter's worth of electricity. Your system needs to recoup its total cost over the lifetime of the device. Each game day it gives you a quarter. You will need to make your add-on fairly inexpensive or your power much more expensive to make this work.

BoB

Likes billy_joule and DTM
Good calcs Bob. I hadn't bother to due the basic energy calculation, it just seemed like a lot of energy. The stadium I was at had about 30m of escalators, but still that's a puny amount of energy. Totally not worth the capital investment.
Dan

Likes rbelli1
It might be economical if you could get everyone out on one escalator. However I don't think anyone would come back.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
stadium would get power but a ballpark estimate

No pun intended?

Likes berkeman
An induction motor when driven by its mechanical "load" will return power to its source.
So what you propose should happen naturally.

Might be another reason though for shutting them off. A Bottleneck.
Is there another set of doors through which people must pass after exiting those escalators? If so, can people get out through those doors faster than the escalators can deliver them there? If not, you have an escalator-fed pileup right there at bottom of escalator.
People on a stairway can stop but on the escalator that's not an option.
I was once caught in such an escalator fed bottleneck pileup, was able to duck out a side exit before it got bad.

That's how the small things of the Earth confound the mighty.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
I don't think there were any doors near the bottom of the escalators. But that would indeed present a danger.

Related to Does anyway use escalators to generate electricty

1. Can escalators really generate electricity?

Yes, escalators can generate electricity through a process called regenerative braking. This is when the kinetic energy produced by the movement of the escalator is converted into electrical energy, which can then be used to power other systems.

2. How much electricity can an escalator generate?

The amount of electricity generated by an escalator depends on various factors such as its size, usage, and efficiency. However, on average, an escalator can generate enough electricity to power its own lighting and some other systems within the building.

3. Is it cost-effective to use escalators for electricity generation?

While using escalators for electricity generation can offset some of the building's energy costs, it may not be a significant amount. The initial investment to install the necessary technology and maintenance costs may outweigh the energy savings in the long run.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using escalators to generate electricity?

When properly installed and maintained, using escalators for electricity generation is safe. However, it is essential to ensure that the conversion of kinetic energy to electrical energy is done correctly to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Are there any other ways to generate electricity from human movement?

Yes, there are other technologies such as piezoelectric materials and kinetic floor tiles that can generate electricity from human movement. These technologies are still in the early stages of development and may not be as widely used as escalator electricity generation currently.