Does anyone know the answer to this?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jimmy Perdon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified model for calculating the power required to sustain the motion of an electric car, with a specific focus on finding the minimum power and the distance the car can travel with a given amount of energy. This involves determining the optimal speed and using it to calculate the power and distance. The conversation also mentions that the topic is more suited for a calculus discussion rather than a chat room.
Jimmy Perdon
A simplified model of the power P required to sustain the motion of an electric car at speed v experiencing nonzero drag can be modeled by the equation:

P = Av^2 + (B/v)
(where A and B are positive constants.)

(a) What speed vP minimizes power?
(b) What power does the speed in (a) require?
(c) Suppose that an electric car has a usable store E of energy. How far dP can the electric car travel at the
speed found in (b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Perdon said:
A simplified model of the power P required to sustain the motion of an electric car at speed v experiencing nonzero drag can be modeled by the equation:

P = Av^2 + (B/v)
(where A and B are positive constants.)

(a) What speed vP minimizes power?
(b) What power does the speed in (a) require?
(c) Suppose that an electric car has a usable store E of energy. How far dP can the electric car travel at the
speed found in (b)?

(a) find $\dfrac{dP}{dv}$, set it equal to zero, and determine the value of velocity that minimizes power.

(b) substitute the value of velocity found in part (a) into the original power equation

(c) Power is a rate of energy use over time. At the velocity found in part (a), time will be a maximum for a fixed value of available energy, E.

$P = \dfrac{E}{t} \implies t = \dfrac{E}{P}$, and distance traveled is $d = v \cdot t$why is this posted in the chat room? should be in calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Does anyone know the answer to this?

1. What is the best way to find the answer to a question?

The best way to find the answer to a question is by conducting research. This can involve looking up information in books, articles, or online sources, or conducting experiments and collecting data.

2. How can I determine if the answer I found is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of an answer, it is important to check the credibility of the source. Look for reputable sources and cross-check information from multiple sources to ensure its accuracy.

3. Is it okay to ask for help in finding the answer?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help in finding the answer to a question. Collaborating with others and seeking guidance from experts can often lead to a more comprehensive and accurate answer.

4. What should I do if I can't find the answer to my question?

If you are unable to find the answer to your question, it may be helpful to rephrase your question or break it down into smaller parts. You can also seek assistance from a librarian, teacher, or other knowledgeable individual.

5. How can I make sure I understand the answer to my question?

To ensure understanding of the answer, it can be helpful to summarize the information in your own words and explain it to someone else. This can also help identify any gaps in your understanding and allow for further clarification if needed.