Does anyone know how to find radius of convergence for sin x and e^x

In summary, you need to use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence for sin x and e^x. For e^x, when using the ratio test, you get |e| which implies that it diverge.
blursotong
[sloved]Does anyone know how to find radius of convergence for sin x and e^x

We know that to find radius of convergence we use ratio test (ie lim {a_n+1} /{a_n})
Can this method be used for sin x and e^x? ( whose radius of convergence is -infinity and infinity)
if radius of convergence is -infinity<x< infinity right? it means when we use ratio test the result is zero?

but we see for e^x,
i get |e| when using ratio test, which implies that it diverge?

Im confused. Can anyone can help?
thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are very confused. You have to use the ratio test on the coefficients of the Taylor series for e^x and sin(x). How do you get |e| for e^x?

cause i use lim (e^(n+1)/ e^(n)) and i got e?
do you mean i use the coefficient of taylor series for e^x = 1 + x + (x^2)/2 + ...
then e^(x+1) = 1 + (x+1) + (x+1)^2/2 +...
then divide ??

blursotong said:
cause i use lim (e^(n+1)/ e^(n)) and i got e?
do you mean i use the coefficient of taylor series for e^x = 1 + x + (x^2)/2 + ...
then e^(x+1) = 1 + (x+1) + (x+1)^2/2 +...
then divide ??

No, use the general term in whatever series you're investigating. For ex, the Maclaurin series is
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

wow..thats a great hint.
so its lim of [ {(x+1)^n /(n+1)!} * {(n!)/(x)^n} ] which gives lim {x/ (n+1} and when n tends to infinity the limit becomes zero ...so the radius of convergence is - infinity to + infinity??

blursotong said:
wow..thats a great hint.
so its lim of [ {(x+1)^n /(n+1)!} * {(n!)/(x)^n} ] which gives lim {x/ (n+1} and when n tends to infinity the limit becomes zero ...so the radius of convergence is - infinity to + infinity??

That's it. If you meant to write x^(n+1) in the numerator instead of (x+1)^n.

opps..haha..yup..
thanks a lot for your help!
anw, can you help me in another multiple integration question too?
no one replied yet=(

Related to Does anyone know how to find radius of convergence for sin x and e^x

1. What is the definition of radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a concept used in calculus to determine the range of values for a particular function where the power series representation of the function will converge. It is represented by the letter "R" and is usually measured in terms of the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the function diverges.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated for functions like sin x and e^x?

The radius of convergence for functions like sin x and e^x can be calculated using the Ratio Test. This test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of the n+1 term to the nth term as n approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, then the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be determined. Otherwise, if the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge and the radius of convergence will be 0. If the limit is equal to 1, further testing is needed to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

3. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents a distance.

4. How does the radius of convergence affect the convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence is directly related to the convergence of a power series. If the value of x is within the radius of convergence, then the power series will converge and the function can be approximated by the power series. On the other hand, if the value of x is outside the radius of convergence, the power series will diverge and the function cannot be approximated by the power series.

5. Can the radius of convergence change for the same function?

Yes, the radius of convergence can change for the same function. It can be affected by the value of x, which is why it is important to specify the center of the power series when calculating the radius of convergence. Additionally, the radius of convergence can also be affected by the coefficients of the power series, which can vary depending on the function being represented.