Does anyone know a resource for advanced Methods for ODEs, Integrals, etc.

In summary, the conversation discusses various techniques for solving advanced mathematical problems in physics, ranging from residue integration and eigenvalue methods to multivariable and polar transformations. The speaker also mentions their blog, where they have posted step-by-step notes on using Lie symmetry methods to solve ODEs and PDEs, and how these methods tie into classical and quantum physics. The speaker has a background in pure math and theoretical physics, and hopes that their notes will serve as a foundation for graduate physics and math studies.
Illuminerdi
Is there a resource that is just a walkthrough of various kinds of problems one might get and the ways to solve them?

I'm not talking about the basics from the calc and difEQ series (u substitution, partial fraction decomposition, trig substitutions, trig power reduction, integration by parts; separation of variables, integration factors, exact equations, characteristic roots, laplace transforms), but rather more advanced things.

The only examples I know are residue integration, the basic nonlinear equation (not sure what to call it, but it's d^2y/dt^2=f(y), and the trick is to substitute dF(y)/dy for f(y), multiply each side by dy/dt, and then do some multivariable chain rule tricks before getting a sloppy integral with a root as the answer), using eigenvectors to solve the characteristic equation, and the multivariable and polar transformations to solve the Gaussian integral. There have to be way more that I'm unfamiliar with, even at the level any undergraduate can understand.

Is there a database of all these techniques, especially helping for a broader understanding of how to condense these techniques into easily derivable knowledge in nice packages?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math methods of physics by arfken and weber.

Dear Illuminerdi

I just posted step-by-step notes starting for ODEs and PDEs both linear and nonlinear, of the type you will see in grad physics programs. The approach is to use Lie symmetry methods. You will see that differential equations, abstract algebra, topology all go hand-in-hand towards practical methods for differential equations.

You will also see how symmetry methods unify Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and Poisson Bracket approaches in classical physics, and how symmetry methods tie over to quantum physics. You'll see how deeply symmetry methods underlie physics.

I just posted the files in my blog under aalaniz.

I got a 36 hour MS in pure math and a PhD in theoretical physics in particles and fields. I've spent ten years dotting i's and crossing t's on techniques I never felt I truly understood. I never felt like an honest PhD as long as math seemed ad hoc and full of tricks. I finally feel honest. The material in the notes should serve as the foundations for grad physics (possibly grad math), but it has been forgotten. Schools now teach each subject in isolation.

Give the notes a look. I hope they are useful.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:

Related to Does anyone know a resource for advanced Methods for ODEs, Integrals, etc.

1. What are some good resources for advanced methods for ODEs, integrals, etc.?

There are many great resources available for advanced methods in ODEs, integrals, and other areas of mathematics. Some popular options include textbooks such as "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig and "Advanced Calculus" by David V. Widder. Online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses and tutorials on advanced mathematical methods.

2. Are there any online courses or tutorials specifically for advanced methods in ODEs?

Yes, there are many online courses and tutorials available specifically for advanced methods in ODEs. Some popular options include "Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations" on Coursera and "Advanced ODE Methods" on Udemy. These courses usually cover topics such as power series solutions, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods for ODEs.

3. Can you recommend any books or resources for advanced integration techniques?

For advanced integration techniques, some popular resources include "Advanced Integration Techniques" by Thomas M. Apostol and "Advanced Integration" by David M. Bressoud. Khan Academy also offers a free online course on advanced integration techniques, covering topics such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and partial fractions.

4. Are there any resources specifically for advanced methods in multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are several resources available for advanced methods in multivariable calculus. Some popular options include "Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" by C.H. Edwards Jr. and "Advanced Multivariable Calculus" by Kenneth Kuttler. MIT OpenCourseWare also offers a free online course on advanced multivariable calculus, covering topics such as vector fields, line integrals, and theorems of Green, Gauss, and Stokes.

5. Are there any online communities or forums where I can discuss advanced methods for ODEs and integrals with other experts?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums where you can discuss advanced methods for ODEs and integrals with other experts. Some popular options include MathOverflow, Math.SE, and Reddit's r/mathematics subreddit. These communities have a wide range of experts and enthusiasts who can offer valuable insights and recommendations for advanced mathematical resources.