Does anybody know where to get Converging lens ?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a converging lens for an independent study course in physics. The participants suggest checking local optical stores and toy stores, as well as using a magnifying glass or lens from reading glasses as a substitute.
nblu
Does anybody know where to get "Converging lens"?

Hi,
I work on an independent study course for physics and it requires converging lens
in order to begin the experiment.

I thought of going to a local optical stores and asking them for purchase
but I don't think the Business Depot guys would sell them.. (Yes I live in Canada lol)

does anybody know where I could get them?

Thank you for viewing this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a magnifying glass?

Doc Al said:
Do you have a magnifying glass?

lol nope, I've thrown away all my science toys when I've graduated from elementary school
never thought that I would come back to do high school physics :(

Shame on you! But getting your hands on a magnifying glass shouldn't be too hard. (And it might come in handy!)

Also, if you wear glasses take a look at them. If you're farsighted, you might get lucky.

Do you have Discovery Channel stores in Canada?

lol thanks guys
I think I've found the right store
Mastermind toys lol

Can you just boot to it externally?

nblu said:
btw, what I've found is;
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store...&MSCSProfile=2KKQC75H7R7L9K9PUF0D4AJMD5SNBAP9

a regular magnifying glass..
could it be used as converging lens?
I believe that is what Doc Al was telling you.

text.jpg

A common magnifying glass represents a converging lens. You can buy a magnifying glass nearly anywhere they have an office products aisle. Many 99 cent stores even carry them.

A lens from reading glasses would also work.

Related to Does anybody know where to get Converging lens ?

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the center and thinner at the edges. It is used to bend and focus light rays, bringing them together at a specific point called the focal point.

2. Where can I find a converging lens?

You can find a converging lens at most scientific supply stores, online retailers, or optometry shops. They are also commonly used in cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.

3. How does a converging lens work?

A converging lens works by refracting (bending) light rays as they pass through the lens. The curved shape of the lens causes the light rays to converge at a focal point, creating a magnified and focused image.

4. What are the applications of a converging lens?

Converging lenses have many applications in optics, including in cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. They are also used in corrective eyewear for people with nearsightedness or farsightedness.

5. What are the differences between a converging lens and a diverging lens?

A converging lens is thicker in the center and causes light rays to converge, while a diverging lens is thinner in the center and causes light rays to diverge. Converging lenses are used to focus light, while diverging lenses are used to spread out light.