Does an electron have a continous range of energies?

In summary, an electron does not have a continuous range of energies and the solution of the Schrodinger's equation provides information about the energy of an electron in a specific situation, such as in a photoelectric effect experiment.
melissajohn
i have two questions...

does an electron have a continuous range of energies? I think the answer is no. am i right?

and also... what does the solution of the schrodinger's equation provide?

Physics news on Phys.org

melissajohn said:
i have two questions...

does an electron have a continuous range of energies? I think the answer is no. am i right?

and also... what does the solution of the schrodinger's equation provide?

I think you have a severe misunderstanding of how something can acquire energy. The energy of any electron (or any particle for that matter) depends on where it is, or what situation it is in. The energy of the emitted electrons out of a photo electric effect experiment is certainly NOT discrete. Look at any photoemission experiment. This is because the conduction band is, by definition of a "band", is continuous.

Zz.

Related to Does an electron have a continous range of energies?

1. What is the energy range of an electron?

The energy range of an electron is not continuous, but rather discrete. This means that an electron can only have certain specific energy values and cannot have any value in between.

2. How is the energy of an electron determined?

The energy of an electron is determined by its position in an atom's energy levels. Each energy level corresponds to a specific energy value that an electron can have.

3. Can an electron have an infinite amount of energy?

No, an electron cannot have an infinite amount of energy. As mentioned before, its energy is discrete and can only have certain specific values. Additionally, there is a maximum energy that an electron can have, known as the electron's ionization energy.

4. Can an electron have negative energy?

Yes, an electron can have negative energy. In fact, the lowest energy level in an atom has a negative energy value. This negative energy represents the binding energy of the electron to the nucleus of the atom.

5. How does the energy of an electron affect its behavior?

The energy of an electron affects its behavior in various ways. For example, electrons with higher energy levels have a greater tendency to escape from the atom, while electrons with lower energy levels are more stable and less likely to participate in chemical reactions.