Poynting vector and single electron in free space

In summary, the conversation discusses the Poynting vector field for a single electron in free space between two capacitor plates. The speaker expected the field lines to converge to the electron due to work being done, but close to the electron, the external field is neglected, leading to nonsensical results. The conversation also touches on the quantum version and the challenges of defining and resolving such questions. The mistake is forgetting the migration of energy from the Coulomb field in addition to delivering kinetic energy. In familiar cases, such as current in a wire, there is no migration of an electrostatic field due to neutrality.
Orthoceras
I am trying to draw the Poynting vector field for a single electron in free space between two capacitor plates. The electron is moving (and accelerating) to the positive plate at the right. I expected the Poynting vector field lines to converge to the electron, because that is where the work has to be done. However, very close to the electron the E-field is dominated by the electron, assuming it is a point particle. As a result the Poynting vector field does not converge to the electron. What is my mistake?

poynting4.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is neglecting the external field near the electron.

Any time that you make a simplifying assumption and wind up with nonsense, the first thing is to check what happens if you don’t make the simplifying assumption.

Likes vanhees71
I don't understand that. Close to the electron the radial E-field becomes infinitely strong, assuming it is a point particle. Why is the finite external field not negligable?

Orthoceras said:
I don't understand that. Close to the electron the radial E-field becomes infinitely strong, assuming it is a point particle. Why is the finite external field not negligable?
Physically, do you expect the electron to somehow gain energy without the finite external field?

But again. In general, any time you make a simplifying assumption and get nonsense, then you should redo your calculation without the simplifying assumption. Even if you don’t immediately see why. The nonsense is telling you that something is wrong.

I think we agree that work is done by the electric field on the electron. However, I thought the Poynting vector field should converge exactly to the location of the electron to deliver that energy. Your point seems to be that is a mistake?

Orthoceras said:
I thought the Poynting vector field should converge exactly to the location of the electron to deliver that energy. Your point seems to be that is a mistake?
I agree that is a mistake, although I cannot claim that was my point. Your results correctly show that point quite convincingly.

Of course classical point particles are a nuissance, and the related questions are not fully resolved. The quantum version is a bit better off, because you can at least define it in the perturbative sense and systematically renormalize the divergences analogous to the classical ones in a systematic manner order by order of perturbation theory.

I guess my mistake was forgetting that the Poynting vector has to migrate the energy of the Coulomb field of the electron from left to right, in addition to delivering the increase of the kinetic energy of the electron. That explains why the Poynting vector converges to a diffuse area at the right of the electron.

In more familiar cases where the Poynting vector is used, such as current in a wire, there is no migration of an electrostatic field because the wire is neutral.

Likes Dale
Orthoceras said:
the Poynting vector has to migrate the energy of the Coulomb field of the electron from left to right, in addition to delivering the increase of the kinetic energy of the electron.
Excellent physical insight!

Related to Poynting vector and single electron in free space

1. What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow in a given region of space. It is represented by the symbol S and is defined as the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector.

2. How is the Poynting vector related to single electrons in free space?

In free space, the Poynting vector represents the direction and rate of energy transfer due to the motion of a single electron. This is because the electric and magnetic fields produced by the electron are constantly changing, resulting in the propagation of electromagnetic waves and the transfer of energy.

3. What is the significance of the Poynting vector in electromagnetic theory?

The Poynting vector is a fundamental concept in electromagnetic theory as it helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the transfer of energy. It is used to calculate the intensity of radiation, the direction of energy flow, and the distribution of energy in a given region of space.

4. How is the direction of the Poynting vector determined?

The direction of the Poynting vector is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the electric field and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the Poynting vector is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can the Poynting vector be negative?

Yes, the Poynting vector can have a negative value. This indicates that the energy is flowing in the opposite direction of the vector. In other words, the energy is being absorbed rather than emitted by the system.