Does AI truly possess free will in its actions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free will in relation to AI and coding. It is argued that an AI's actions and decisions are ultimately predetermined by the assumptions and coding put in place by its creators. However, the conversation also delves into the complexity of defining and measuring free will, and whether it is even a valid concept. The potential for AI to surpass human intelligence and decision-making is also addressed.
rootone
I don't think it can because whatever it wills is predicated by assumptions made by the person who coded it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question can’t be answered with such a simple answer. AI smarts are not from its coding alone. The coding defines how the AI can learn from the data it processes. If the coding is flawed then of course the AI will not learn what it could learn.

Today’s AI systems utilize neural nets where data is provided to the inputs and an answer appears at the outputs. In effect, a matrix of data values is applied to an input vector of numbers to produce an output vector of the answer.

Where the coding gets interesting is how we determine the data values in the matrix through backpropagation to create the output vector we want from the input we give. This requires large amounts of data for training and for testing.

To see how this works, watch this video series:

Likes DennisN and fresh_42
How would you define free will so that it is also a measurable characteristic?

Is free will something that could be interpreted to be in the eye of the beholder, like beauty and intelligence, or is it something else? For instance, you could measure the level of intelligence of an AI via experiments using a Turing test, but can you do the same for free will?

Free will seems to relate a fair bit to predictability but also not quite. There are compelling experiments that indicate free will in humans perhaps is just an illusion and that our decision are predictable in the same way as weather and other chaotic systems are predictable for a short time. If that is true and human conscious thoughts in principle are deterministic can humans then still have free will? If yes, does that also mean the weather in some sense has free will?

Likes BillTre
rootone said:
I don't think it can because whatever it wills is predicated by assumptions made by the person who coded it.

At present the state of art is that we know how to design an AI for a specific task (like Alpha Go). We already don't know how it really works nor how it really learned to win, we just defined - in some general terms - input and output conditions. They proved to be good enough for the same (or at least very similar) AI to learn how to become chess master just by playing with itself. Next obvious stage is to generalize input and output conditions even further. My bet is that at some point it will shift the state of art to the point where the assumptions no longer matter.

Likes BillTre
"Can an AI have free will?"
rootone said:
I have studied and also programmed AI, and I can not answer that question without getting philosophical. And I don't want to get philosophical, because that could terminate the thread :smile:. So I will just say one thing: "free will" is in itself a very tricky topic, with or without AI.

Likes david2 and fresh_42
How do you know *I* have free will, and not some convincing illusion? Until that has a well-defined answer, making it more complicated by bringing computers into it is just a waste of time.

Likes Bandersnatch and fresh_42
Many Zen stories touch on that very fact. The master will do something spontaneous and odd, a student will respond creatively to it and the master will smile. A second student tries to outdo the first and get rebuked because he/she in essence copied and enhanced the first student's response.

Inventing is similar, sometimes an inventor comes out with a completely novel way to do something and at other times its an enhancement of a common practice used uniquely. The question is which shows free will more.

Related to Does AI truly possess free will in its actions?

1. Can an AI truly have free will?

This is a complex question with no clear answer. Some argue that AI systems are programmed by humans and therefore cannot truly have free will. Others believe that as AI systems become more advanced and are able to learn and make decisions on their own, they may develop a form of free will.

2. How do we define free will for an AI?

Defining free will is a philosophical debate. For an AI, it could mean the ability to make choices and decisions without being influenced by its programming or external factors. However, some argue that true free will also involves consciousness and emotions, which are not currently present in AI systems.

3. Can an AI make moral decisions with free will?

This question ties into the previous one, as defining morality and ethical decision-making can be difficult for an AI. While AI systems can be programmed with ethical guidelines, they do not possess the same moral compass as humans and may not have the ability to make truly autonomous moral decisions.

4. Are there any potential dangers of giving an AI free will?

As with any technology, there are potential dangers and risks associated with giving AI systems free will. If an AI is able to make its own decisions, it may act in ways that are harmful to humans or society as a whole. It is important for ethical guidelines and regulations to be in place when developing and implementing AI with free will.

5. How does the concept of free will impact the development of AI?

The concept of free will is a significant factor in the development of AI. As we continue to advance and create more intelligent and autonomous AI systems, it is crucial to consider the implications of free will and how it may affect the relationship between humans and AI. It also raises ethical questions about responsibility and accountability for the decisions made by AI with free will.