Does Adjusting the Index Affect the Convergence of an Infinite Series?

In summary: So as long as the series starting from any term from the original series also converges or diverges, the original series will have the same behavior. an approximates 1/3k^2, but how can I know which one is larger?You can compare them by taking their derivatives and seeing which one is increasing faster (or use other methods to compare the growth rates). In this case, it's clear that 1/3k^2 grows faster than 1/k^2, so a_n must be less than b_n.
kingwinner
1) Determine whether the infinite series

Sigma (k^2-1) / (3k^4 + 1)
k=0
converges or diverges.

[My immediate thought was to use the "limit comparsion test", but this test requires all terms to be positive. However, the first term (put k=0) is definitely negative...what should I do? Can I still use the limit comparsion test, and if not, what other tests can I use?]

2) Evaluate
lim [t^2 - t^3 sin(1/t)]
t->∞

[When I direct substitute, I get ∞-∞*0, and I have no clue how to solve this problem...any hints?]

Thank you for your help!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
let [tex]a_{n} = \frac{k^2 - 1}{3k^4 + 1}[/tex]
and [tex]b_{n} = \frac{1}{k^2}[/tex]
then show that [tex]a_{n} > b_{n}[/tex] for every n

Okay, I finally got it...

Last edited:
But if an>bn and bn converges, it tells you nothing whether an converges or not...how does that help?
And also, it doesn't look very straight foward to me to prove that an>bn

1) Also, I am still wondering whether I can apply "limit comparsion test" to this problem or not...does anyone know?

Thanks!

[My immediate thought was to use the "limit comparsion test", but this test requires all terms to be positive.

This is where convergence is beautiful. It doesn't matter if the first term is negative; just look at the sum

term one + series starting from term two.

Clearly this sum exists iff your original series converges (if that's not obvious, prove it)

BTW, I think [tex]a_n<b_n[/tex] as posted above, because [tex]a_n[/tex] approximates [tex]\frac{1}{3k^2}[/tex]

(in fact, it's always less than that... you should be able to show that too)

So when I am trying to see whether an infinite series converges or diverges, I can always change the lower index of summation whenever I want?

an approximates 1/3k^2, but how can I know which one is larger?

Thanks!

kingwinner said:
So when I am trying to see whether an infinite series converges or diverges, I can always change the lower index of summation whenever I want?

That's right; convergence or divergence of a series is independent or the starting index.

Related to Does Adjusting the Index Affect the Convergence of an Infinite Series?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It can be written in the form of a1 + a2 + a3 + ..., where a1, a2, a3, etc. are the terms of the series. This type of series can either converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, we use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, and alternating series test. These tests compare the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence behavior.

3. What is a limit of a series?

The limit of a series is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. It is denoted by lim n→∞ an, where an is the nth term of the series. A series can have a finite limit, infinite limit, or no limit at all.

4. Can an infinite series have a sum if it diverges?

No, an infinite series can only have a sum if it converges. If a series diverges, it means that the terms in the series do not approach a finite value, and therefore, there is no sum for the infinite series.

5. How are infinite series and limits used in real-world applications?

Infinite series and limits are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, they are used to model physical phenomena such as motion and energy. In economics, they are used to analyze economic trends and make predictions. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to approximate complex functions and solve optimization problems.