Does absolute makes a difference in area

In summary, the task is to sketch and find the area of the region determined by the intersections of the curves y = 2 - x^2 and y = |x|. To do this, one must split the integration into two parts, considering the cases x >= 0 and x < 0 separately. The intersection points can be found by solving the equations 2 - x^2 = x and 2 - x^2 = -x, respectively. The final step is to integrate using the appropriate expressions for |x| in each case.
jwxie

Homework Statement

y = 2 − x^2, y = |x|
sketch and find the area of the region determined
by the intersections of the curves

Homework Equations

regular f - g of integral

The Attempt at a Solution

The absolute value puzzles me. How would it work then?

I mean we know how each equation looks like.
So I would do
integral of (2-x^2) - |x| from a to b

Now how would I get the intersection point and evaluate this integral with |x|?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Split into the cases x<0 and x>=0. What's a simpler expression for |x| in each case? What's the intersection point in each case?

2-x-x^2 = 0
this gives me -2, 1

and how do i integrate it?
treat it as a regular x but keep || when i do the calculation?

The point here is that for x>=0 |x|=x. For x<0 |x|=(-x). You have to split the integration into two parts. And you also have to find the intersection separately for each part. x=(-2) is NOT an intersection.

hi thanks for the help.
i still can't figure out the x <0
but after examining the graph, i see they are symmetry, so instead, i take 2 * integral of the positive, will produce the answer

yet, i still want to know how to find the intersection point for x <0

jwxie said:
2-x-x^2 = 0
this gives me -2, 1

and how do i integrate it?
treat it as a regular x but keep || when i do the calculation?

Your values of x above are the x-coordinates at the points of intersection of y = 2 - x^2 and y = x. The only one that is valid is x = 1, because |x| = x only if x >= 0.

The other point of intersection is found in almost the same way that you found the first one. The only difference is that you are looking for the point of intersection of y = 2 - x^2 and y = -x. The latter equation is due to the fact that |x| = -x for x <=0.

So, solve 2 - x^2 = - x for x. The domain this time is x <= 0, so discard any positive x values. You have already commented on the symmetry of the two graphs, so your result should not be surprising.

Hi, thanks for your help. Now I get it. ^^

Related to Does absolute makes a difference in area

1. Does using absolute values make a difference in calculating area?

Yes, using absolute values can make a difference in calculating area. Absolute values are used to represent the magnitude or size of a number without considering its sign. When calculating area, it is important to use the absolute values of the measurements to ensure an accurate result.

2. How does using absolute values affect the calculation of area?

Using absolute values affects the calculation of area by removing any negative values that may impact the final result. When calculating area, it is necessary to use the absolute values of the measurements to ensure that the result reflects the true size of the shape.

3. Is it necessary to use absolute values when finding the area of a shape?

Yes, it is necessary to use absolute values when finding the area of a shape. Absolute values are used to represent the magnitude or size of a number without considering its sign. When calculating area, it is important to use the absolute values of the measurements to ensure an accurate result.

4. Can using absolute values make the area of a shape negative?

No, using absolute values cannot make the area of a shape negative. Absolute values remove the negative sign from a number, so when calculating area, it is not possible to end up with a negative result. If a negative result is obtained, it may indicate an error in the calculation.

5. Are there any situations where using absolute values may not be necessary for finding area?

Yes, there may be some situations where using absolute values is not necessary for finding area. For example, if the shape being measured is a regular polygon with all sides and angles equal, using absolute values may not make a difference in the calculation of area. However, it is always recommended to use absolute values to ensure accurate and consistent results.