Do you know how to derive the General Theory of Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the coefficient gamma=1/squareroot(1-(v/c)2) using knowledge of special relativity and starting from basic assumptions. The conversation also mentions Einstein's approach to deriving the basics of special relativity and suggests using a rocket and laser beam thought experiment to understand the concept of gamma. The conversation emphasizes the importance of not assuming that both observers agree on the amount of time it takes for light to travel.
FoxCommander
I am trying to get the coeficient gamma=1/squareroot(1-(v/c)2)

I am trying to do this by my own knowledge starting from scratch.

Can someone give me the first step? I want to see if i can get there but i just need a hint i am not sure on where to start

Thankyou very much,
Fox

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean special relativity, I think that would be a much more doable venture than General Relativity. Well, just off the top of my head, I guess you start with the same mental exercises that Einstein did. Some of the basic principles is that light always travels at c in every reference frame and that observers must agree on the same physics in every reference frame. He did a lot of examples in terms of what happens to clocks as a result. You can think of a clock as a ray of light bouncing back and forth between two sets of mirrors that are separated by a predefined distance.

So what happens when the clock is observed by an observer in its rest frame? What happens if there is a second observer that is moving relative to the clock and his motion is along the direction of the light's path? What if his motion is perpendicular to the light's path? In this way you should be able to get an idea on how to derive time dilation.

Einstein published a small book on special and general relativity that works his way through all of these gedanken experiments to derive the basics of relativity. It is an excellent read for any physics student and provides a very feasible framework for someone to derive the basics of special relativity on their own.

FoxCommander said:
I am trying to do this by my own knowledge starting from scratch.

Even Einstein didn't start completely from scratch. He started from some assumptions about how the universe works. What are your assumptions?

Imagine a rocket going from left to right. (Draw a picture). Imagine a laser attached to the side of the rocket that's "up" in the picture, aimed in the "down" direction, so that it hits the opposite wall. Draw this laser beam as it appears to an observer on the rocket, and to an outside observer relative to whom the rocket is moving with speed v. The former sees the light going straight down, and the latter sees it going diagonally. Draw both of these lines in the same picture, and complete the triangle with a line representing the movement of the rocket as seen by the external observer. This is a right triangle, so the pythagorean theorem applies. Use it, and you'll find gamma.

You have to assume that both observers see the light move at speed c, and you have to make sure not to assume that they agree about how much time it took.

(ct')^2+(vt)^2=(ct)^2

Simple pythagreon therom given the projectile of light.

Related to Do you know how to derive the General Theory of Relativity?

1. What is the General Theory of Relativity?

The General Theory of Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how gravity works as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. How is the General Theory of Relativity derived?

The General Theory of Relativity is derived from Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it. This involves complex mathematical equations and requires a deep understanding of physics and geometry.

3. Can anyone derive the General Theory of Relativity?

No, deriving the General Theory of Relativity requires a high level of knowledge and expertise in physics and mathematics. It is a highly complex and challenging task that can only be accomplished by a few scientists who possess the necessary skills and understanding.

4. Why is the General Theory of Relativity important?

The General Theory of Relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, and it is an essential component of modern physics and cosmology.

5. Are there any practical applications of the General Theory of Relativity?

Yes, the General Theory of Relativity has practical applications in various fields such as GPS technology, satellite communication, and space exploration. It also helps us understand the behavior of massive objects such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.