Do you invite parents to Masters Thesis?

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not it is typical to invite family to a thesis presentation. Some people have had their parents attend, while others have not. It seems to vary depending on the location and school. Ultimately, the decision is up to the individual and their own preferences.
member 428835
Just as the question asks, is this typical? I'm leaning towards no, but I don't know what's typical. From your experience, what do you think?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As in, to a Masters thesis presentation? You've not specified. I've not ever seen this, but presumably it varies from place to place.

No, this was not usual for mine.

I'm not sure what you mean ebar, but thank you both for your input. I'm definitely taking this as a no, don't invite family.

Thanks!

I didn't think of inviting my parents for my Ph.D. thesis defense. At that time they were 1500 miles away. I don't even remember who, if anyone, showed up besides my dissertation committee. Maybe a couple of my fellow grad students, and/or professors in my research group who were not on my dissertation committee.

I do remember some of my friends hauling me off to a local watering hole to celebrate afterwards. :cool:

My parents did come for the commencement ceremony a few months later, at which I officially received my degree along with other students who finished that semester.

The actual question is ambiguous because a thesis is a document. You likely mean the presentation of the thesis.

In Canada many schools will have a component of the defence that is a public presentation that's open to the public. The student gives a ~ 20 minute talk summarizing the work and takes questions from the audience. For this the student's parents may attend if they wish. It's rare that they would though. Often it's usually just other graduate students who are there either for support or to help learn about what to expect for their own presentation, and faculty members who are interested in the field or project. The second component is the oral examination, which is usually closed to the public. Everyone but the examining committee, the student, and a neutral chair will leave the room and then an examination follows for a couple of hours. In some cases the entire process is closed to the public, so parents wouldn't be able to attend, even if they wanted to.

jtbell said:
I didn't even think of inviting my parents for my Ph.D. thesis defense. I don't even remember who, if anyone, showed up besides my dissertation committee. Maybe a couple of my fellow grad students, and/or professors in my research group who were not on my dissertation committee.

I do remember some of my friends hauling me off to a local watering hole to celebrate afterwards. :cool:
hahahaha that's hilarious!

Thanks you all; I was leaning to a no and now I think that's the right decision.

Choppy's description fits my somewhat vague 33 year old memories. The people who were not on my committee were excused from the room for the oral examination. Nothing serious came up because I had already made some additions/corrections to my dissertation based on their examination of an earlier draft. Then they excused me from the room while they deliberated briefly. I was rather nervous, as you might expect, and was very relieved when my advisor came out, shook my hand and said, "Congratulations!" Then I got hauled off to the watering hole.

That sounds accurate from what my adviser has told me (let's hope I pass too!).

Hahahahhaha I think it's hilarious the way you describe it as "watering hole":oldlaugh:! That's awesome!

Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

My master thesis presentation as well as my PhD defense was public, anyone was allowed to join and on both occasions my parents attended it. You can also ask your parents if they want to attend.

We didn't have a watering hole though...

Related to Do you invite parents to Masters Thesis?

1. What is the purpose of inviting parents to a Master's thesis defense?

The purpose of inviting parents to a Master's thesis defense is to provide support and celebrate the student's academic achievement. It also allows parents to gain insight into their child's research and academic interests.

2. Are parents required to attend the Master's thesis defense?

No, parents are not required to attend the Master's thesis defense. It is ultimately up to the student to decide who they would like to invite.

3. Can parents ask questions during the Master's thesis defense?

Typically, parents are not allowed to ask questions during the Master's thesis defense. However, some professors may allow for a brief Q&A session at the end of the defense.

4. What is the appropriate attire for parents attending a Master's thesis defense?

There is no specific dress code for parents attending a Master's thesis defense. However, it is recommended to dress in business casual attire to show respect for the academic setting.

5. How can parents support their child during the Master's thesis defense?

Parents can support their child by attending the defense, listening attentively, and providing words of encouragement. They can also offer to help with any logistical or emotional support leading up to the defense.