Do You Adjust Bounds When Using the Integral Test for Series Convergence?

In summary, the integral test is used to determine the convergence (or divergence) of a series of nonnegative terms. The function must be monotone decreasing for the test to be applicable. The original bounds for the integral are n+1 and n-1.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

When using the Integral Test do you need to change the bounds to n+1 and n-1 for an increasing and decreasing function respectively?

This is a question that comes up when using the integral test.

I think that you just use the original bounds for the integral. We are a bit confused with something that the teacher wrote and I just wanted clarifying.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

When using the Integral Test do you need to change the bounds to n+1 and n-1 for an increasing and decreasing function respectively?

This is a question that comes up when using the integral test.

I think that you just use the original bounds for the integral. We are a bit confused with something that the teacher wrote and I just wanted clarifying.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand your question. The integral test is used to determine the convergence (or divergence) of a series of nonnegative terms. Part of the "fine print" for this test is that the function must be monotone decreasing.
I think that you just use the original bounds for the integral.
What original bounds? You're starting from an infinite series.

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you for your reply.

Let me make this more clear.

Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_test_for_convergence

Under the 'proof' section of this article it changes the bounds to n+1 and n-1 under certain occasions.
During our lecture, our instructor introduced us to this test this way.
A fellow student and I were conversing over how to use the integral test properly.
He indicated that since the function is decreasing you need to subtract 1 from the lower bound according to our notes based off this.
However, on every application/online site I do not see people subtracting or adding one to the bounds.

For example:

If you were taking the series of 1/k^2 from k = 5 to k = infinity, and wanted to do the integral test, would you set the integral up from 5 to infinity or from 4 to infinity?

RJLiberator said:
Thank you for your reply.

Let me make this more clear.

Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_test_for_convergence

Under the 'proof' section of this article it changes the bounds to n+1 and n-1 under certain occasions.
During our lecture, our instructor introduced us to this test this way.
A fellow student and I were conversing over how to use the integral test properly.
He indicated that since the function is decreasing you need to subtract 1 from the lower bound according to our notes based off this.
However, on every application/online site I do not see people subtracting or adding one to the bounds.

For example:

If you were taking the series of 1/k^2 from k = 5 to k = infinity, and wanted to do the integral test, would you set the integral up from 5 to infinity or from 4 to infinity?
It doesn't really make any difference whether you integrate from 4 to ∞ or from 5 to ∞. If the definite integral comes out to a number, your series converges, and if the integral is unbounded, then the series diverges.

Likes RJLiberator
For the integral test, you are checking the convergence of the integral. Any finite contribution from small numbers is not relevant.

For the proof, you need some index manipulation, but this is not relevant for the application any more. If it helps, you can even start your integration at x=10000.

Edit: Mark was faster by a few seconds.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks guys for the replies.

So, I can conclude then that in our particular situation, it was not necessarily right to subtract 1 from the lower boundary, although it does not make the integral test wrong.

Thank you.

Related to Do You Adjust Bounds When Using the Integral Test for Series Convergence?

1. What is the Integral Test?

The Integral Test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to a related improper integral.

2. When is the Integral Test used?

The Integral Test is used when the terms of a series are positive and decreasing. This is important because it allows us to compare the series to a related improper integral, which is necessary for the test to work.

3. How do you use the Integral Test?

To use the Integral Test, you first need to determine if the terms of the series are positive and decreasing. Then, you set up a related improper integral and determine its convergence or divergence. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges.

4. What is the relationship between the Integral Test and the Divergence Test?

The Integral Test and the Divergence Test are closely related. The Divergence Test states that if the limit of the terms of a series is not equal to 0, then the series must diverge. This can be seen as a special case of the Integral Test, where the related improper integral is evaluated at infinity and compared to the limit of the terms of the series.

5. Are there any limitations to the Integral Test?

Yes, there are limitations to the Integral Test. It can only be used on series with positive and decreasing terms. Additionally, it can only determine the convergence or divergence of a series, it cannot give the exact value of the sum. Furthermore, the integral used in the test must be able to be evaluated, which may not always be possible.