Do we include asymptotes as critical points?

In summary, the question is whether asymptotes should be considered critical points when finding critical values of a function. The graph of y = x sqrt(4-x^2) has asymptotes at x=2 and x=-2, but they are not included in the critical points given by the derivative. However, these points can be used to help draw the curve of the function.
LadiesMan
I was wondering if we include asymptotes as criticals:

For example in y = x sqrt(4-x^2)

when u find the critical points it gives u root 2 and negative root 2

But when I draw the graph I am missing the 2 and -2 which were the asymptotes which help define the graph?

So are they needed?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, a point that is not differentiable should be considered a critical value. However, the domain should be [tex]{ x,-2 \leq x \leq 2 }[/tex]. In other words, [tex]\sqrt{0}[/tex] is defined.

LadiesMan said:
I was wondering if we include asymptotes as criticals:

For example in y = x sqrt(4-x^2)

when u find the critical points it gives u root 2 and negative root 2

But when I draw the graph I am missing the 2 and -2 which were the asymptotes which help define the graph?

So are they needed?

Thanks

You may use the vertical lines x=2 and x=-2 to help you draw the curve in that the graph of this function becomes vertical at those points.

yay thank you!

Related to Do we include asymptotes as critical points?

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches. It can be vertical, horizontal, or oblique.

2. Are asymptotes considered critical points?

No, asymptotes are not considered critical points because they do not occur on the graph of the function and do not impact the behavior of the function at any specific point. Critical points must be points on the graph of the function.

3. Can asymptotes affect the domain and range of a function?

Yes, asymptotes can affect the domain and range of a function. Asymptotes can limit the values that the function can take, and therefore, impact the domain and range of the function.

4. Do we include vertical asymptotes as critical points?

No, vertical asymptotes are not considered critical points because they do not occur on the graph of the function and do not impact the behavior of the function at any specific point. As mentioned before, critical points must be points on the graph of the function.

5. How do we determine if an asymptote is present in a function?

To determine if an asymptote is present in a function, we can analyze the behavior of the function as the input values approach certain values. If the function approaches a specific value but never reaches it, then there is an asymptote present at that value.