Do we have "Newtonian space-time" in classical physics?

Get our new fibre bundle package and experience the full extent of the space-time continuum!"In summary, the conversation discusses how the understanding of time and space has evolved in physics. Newtonian physics operated under the assumption of motion in a 3-dimensional Euclidean space, with time as a universal parameter. However, Minkowski combined space and time into a 4-dimensional spacetime, and Einstein's theory of relativity showed that time and space are not independent and that simultaneity is frame-dependent. Another mathematical interpretation is that of a fibre bundle, where there is a continuum of copies of the 3D Euclidean affine space along a time axis. In summary, the concept of time as a dimension in classical physics is still debated
etotheipi
I've managed to thoroughly confuse myself. Before Minkowski came along and combined 3-dimensional Euclidian space and time into Minkowski spacetime, I was under the impression that we only dealt with three dimensions and that time was just a universal parameter. Thorne and Blandford write
...[Newtonian Physics'] arena is flat, 3-dimensional Euclidian space with time separated off and made universal...
Though evidently to specify an event (a concept which exists in all flavours of physics, not just relativistic), we need four pieces of information: ##(x,y,z,t)##. But in the realm of classical physics, writing an event in this manner - with ##t## as a coordinate - looks odd because in order for it to be a coordinate, it must also be a dimension (I could be wrong about this...).

Then to add to the confusion, I came across this description by V.I. Arnold,
The Galilean space-time structure consists of ... the universe, a four-dimensional affine space ##A^{4}##. The points of ##A^{4}## are called world points or events. The parallel displacements of the universe ##A^{4}## constitute a vector space ##\mathbb{R}^{4}##

So now I'm completely lost, since he seems to be including time as a dimension. But I thought Newtonian physics operated under the assumption of motion in a Euclidian space, only parameterised by time!

So I wondered whether someone could clarify whether or not, in classical physics, time is a dimension - since these two sources seem to completely contradict.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I've managed to thoroughly confuse myself. Before Minkowski came along and combined 3-dimensional Euclidian space and time, I was under the impression that we only dealt with three dimensions and that time was just a universal parameter. Thorne and Blandford write

Though evidently to specify an event (a concept which exists in all flavours of physics, not just relativistic), we need four pieces of information: ##(x,y,z,t)##. But in the realm of classical physics, writing an event in this manner - with ##t## as a coordinate - looks odd because in order for it to be a coordinate, it must also be a dimension (I could be wrong about this...).

Then to add to the confusion, I came across this description by V.I. Arnold,So now I'm completely lost, since he seems to be including time as a dimension. But I thought Newtonian physics operated under the assumption of motion in a Euclidian space, only parameterised by time!

So I wondered whether someone could clarify whether or not, in classical physics, time is a dimension - since these two sources seem to completely contradict.

Thank you!

It works both ways. If you apply the principles of symmetry and homogeneity to space and time you can derive the following for your transformation between frames:
$$x' = \gamma(x - vt), \ \ t' = \gamma(t - kvx)$$
Where ##k## is a constant, and ##\gamma = \frac 1 {\sqrt{1- kv^2}}##

If ##k = 0##, then you get:
$$x' = x - vt, \ \ t' = t$$
Otherwise, we find that ##k = \frac 1 {c^2}##, where ##c## is an invariant speed.

With hindsight, therefore, we can look at Newtonian mechanics two ways. With time as a parameter or time as a dimension of Galilean spacetime.

Likes etotheipi
They are mathematically equivalent. I.e. there is a one to one mapping between ##(x(t),y(t),z(t))## and ##(t,x(t),y(t),z(t))##

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
$$x' = \gamma(x - vt), \ \ t' = \gamma(t - kvx)$$

If ##k = 0##, then you get:
$$x' = x - vt, \ \ t' = t$$
Otherwise, we find that ##k = \frac 1 {c^2}##, where ##c## is an invariant speed.

That's quite a neat way of looking at it!

Dale said:
They are mathematically equivalent. I.e. there is a one to one mapping between ##(x(t),y(t),z(t))## and ##(t,x(t),y(t),z(t))##

Right, I see what you mean. Thank you!

Another mathematical interpretation of Newtonian physics (and I think that's just the modern way to express Newton's original ideas of "absolute space" and "absolute time") is that of a fibre bundle. You have an continuum of copies of the 3D Euclidean affine space along a time axis.

In some sense the spacetime of SRT (Minkowski space) is more elegant and simple: It's a 4D affine pseudo-Euclidean space with the fundamental form having the signature (1,3) (or equivalently (3,1) if you prefer the mostly-plus-convention for the pseudometric).

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
Another mathematical interpretation of Newtonian physics (and I think that's just the modern way to express Newton's original ideas of "absolute space" and "absolute time") is that of a fibre bundle. You have an continuum of copies of the 3D Euclidean affine space along a time axis.

Interesting - I've seen the term "fibre bundle" written but the mathematics appears a little too complex for me to understand right now. Though your description provides a good conceptual way of viewing it, thanks!

etotheipi said:
Interesting - I've seen the term "fibre bundle" written but the mathematics appears a little too complex for me to understand right now. Though your description provides a good conceptual way of viewing it, thanks!

At least you know now that it isn't a TV + Internet broadband package!

Likes Ibix, vanhees71 and etotheipi
PeroK said:
At least you know now that it isn't a TV + Internet broadband package!

It would be quite the subliminal marketing campaign...

1. What is Newtonian space-time in classical physics?

Newtonian space-time is a concept in classical physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It is based on Isaac Newton's laws of motion and his theory of gravity, which state that space and time are absolute and independent of each other.

2. How does Newtonian space-time differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Unlike Newtonian space-time, Einstein's theory of relativity states that space and time are relative and can be affected by the presence of mass and energy. This means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. Is Newtonian space-time still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Newtonian space-time is still used in many areas of classical physics, such as mechanics and gravitation. However, it is not applicable in certain situations, such as when dealing with objects moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

4. How did Newton develop his concept of space-time?

Newton's concept of space-time was developed through his observations and experiments on the motion of objects and his theory of gravity. He believed that space and time were absolute and unchanging, and that all objects in the universe were subject to the same laws of motion.

5. Can Newtonian space-time be reconciled with Einstein's theory of relativity?

No, Newtonian space-time and Einstein's theory of relativity are fundamentally different and cannot be reconciled. While Newtonian space-time is based on absolute space and time, Einstein's theory of relativity is based on the principle of relativity and the idea that space and time are relative.