Do we consider a point in a coordinate system to be a scalar?

In summary, a point in a Cartesian coordinate system is not considered a scalar quantity because it is a location and not a single valued valuation or number. It is neither a vector nor a scalar, but rather a zero-dimensional object. Scalars, vectors, matrices, and tensors are associated with a point, but their nature is different from the nature of the point itself. Mathematically, a point is simply a location and does not have any inherent qualities such as being a scalar or vector.
sams
Gold Member
Knowing that a scalar quantity doesn't change under rotation of a coordinate system. Do we consider a point in a Cartesian coordinate system (i.e. A (4,5)) a scalar quantity? If yes, why do the components of point A change under rotation of the coordinate system?
According to my understanding, the point A (4,5) is not considered scalar. Am I right?

Thanks in advance...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sams said:
Knowing that a scalar quantity doesn't change under rotation of a coordinate system. Do we consider a point in a Cartesian coordinate system (i.e. A (4,5)) a scalar quantity? If yes, why do the components of point A change under rotation of the coordinate system?
According to my understanding, the point A (4,5) is not considered scalar. Am I right?

Thanks in advance...
A point is a certain location, here at the coordinates (4,5). We need them to specify it, i.e. to assure that we are talking about the same location. We do this in vector form, that is by its distance and direction from another location which we earlier agreed upon calling the origin. So the description is by a vector, the location itself is not.

As a location, it is neither a vector nor a scalar. A scalar would be a single valued valuation, a number. In case every point has such a valuation, e.g. the temperature, this valuation would be the scalar and the set of all pairs (point , temperature) would be a scalar field. You see, that the point itself isn't called a scalar.

So scalars, vectors, matrices, tensors are what happens at a certain location, they can be evaluated at this location or they are simply attached to this location. Their nature, however, is different from the nature of the point, the location. That's more or less the physical point of view. Mathematically a point is just a zero-dimensional object that has nothing to do with scalars or vectors. It's not even located anywhere as long as we do not make assumption on how to describe it.

A scalar quantity is a value associated with a point. As an example, on a weather map the temperatures of various places would be scalars.

temp=T(latitude,longitude)

More on scalars:

https://hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node2.html

Related to Do we consider a point in a coordinate system to be a scalar?

1. What is a scalar in a coordinate system?

A scalar in a coordinate system is a quantity that is represented by a single value, such as a number or a magnitude, and does not have a direction associated with it. It is used to describe the magnitude of a physical quantity, such as length, temperature, or mass.

2. How is a scalar different from a vector in a coordinate system?

A vector in a coordinate system has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors are represented by arrows in a coordinate system, while scalars are represented by a single value.

3. Is a point in a coordinate system considered a scalar?

Yes, a point in a coordinate system is considered a scalar because it has a specific location in space and is represented by a single value on the coordinate axes. It does not have a direction associated with it.

4. Can a scalar have negative values in a coordinate system?

Yes, a scalar can have negative values in a coordinate system. For example, temperature can be represented as a scalar and can have negative values, such as -10 degrees Celsius.

5. How are scalars used in mathematical calculations in a coordinate system?

Scalars are used in mathematical calculations in a coordinate system by representing quantities that only require magnitude, such as distance or time. They can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided using basic arithmetic operations.