Can sets contain coordinates of points and be used in Cartesian product?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Cartesian product in sets of coordinates and numbers. It also explains how to write the elements in different forms and provides examples of sets and functions. The conversation also mentions the Choice axiom and how it relates to the Cartesian product.
control
Hi guys,
I would like to ask if a set can contain coordinates of points, for example A={[1,3];[4,5];[4,7]} and if we can do Cartesian product of such sets, for example A={[1,3];[4,5]}, B={[7,8];[4,2]} A×B={[1,3][7,8];[1,3][4,2];[4,5][7,8];[4,5][4,2]} (is it correct to write it like that?). I am familiar with doing that when we have sets of numbers (A={1;2}, B={7;5} A×B={[1,7];[1,5];[2,7];[2,5]}). but I am not sure if it is correct with coordinates of points.
Mod note: Fixed typo "carthesian"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
control said:
Hi guys,
I would like to ask if a set can contain coordinates of points, for example A={[1,3];[4,5];[4,7]} and if we can do carthesian product of such sets, for example A={[1,3];[4,5]}, B={[7,8];[4,2]} A×B={[1,3][7,8];[1,3][4,2];[4,5][7,8];[4,5][4,2]} (is it correct to write it like that?).
You can write the elements whichever you want, e.g. ##[1,3][7,8]## or ##[1,3;7,8]## or ##[1,3,7,8]## or ##\begin{bmatrix}1&3\\7&8\end{bmatrix}##. It is certainly useful not to mix them like ##[1,7][3,8]##, because this would probably be harder to read, but as long as you're consistent, there is no rule.
I am familiar with doing that when we have sets of numbers (A={1;2}, B={7;5} A×B={[1,7];[1,5];[2,7];[2,5]}). but I am not sure if it is correct with coordinates of points.
I would probably write ##A=\{(1,3),(4,5)\}\; , \;B=\{(7,8),(4,2)\}## as round parenthesis are more common for tuples and commas as separators in a list, and then ##A \times B = \{\; ((1,3),(7,8))\, , \, ((1,3),(4,2))\; , \;((4,5),(4,2))\, , \,((4,5),(4,2))\;\} ## but only in set theory. With different applications, this might change.

Thanks for answer.

Perhaps the definition of the Cartesian product would be of some use. Let ##\Gamma## be be an arbitrary nonvoid set, and a set ##A_\gamma## is putted in correspondence to each element ##\gamma\in\Gamma##. Then by definition a set ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## consists of functions ##f:\Gamma\to \bigcup_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_{\gamma}## such that ##f(\gamma)\in A_\gamma##.
For example a set ##\mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{N}## consists of functions ##f:\{1,2\}\to \mathbb{R}\cup\mathbb{N}## (it looks little bit strange, obviously ##\mathbb{R}\cup\mathbb{N}=\mathbb{R}##) such that ##f(1)=a_1\in\mathbb{R},\quad f(2)=a_2\in\mathbb{N}##. This function is also presented as ##(a_1,a_2)##.
Another example: a set ##\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}## consists of all functions ##f:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{R}## those functions can be presented as infinite sequences ##(a_1,a_2,\ldots),\quad f(i)=a_i\in\mathbb{R}##.
If all the ##A_\gamma## are vector spaces over the same field then ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## is also a vector space. By the Choice axiom the set ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## is not empty as long as all the sets ##A_\gamma## are not empty

Last edited:
zwierz said:
By the Choice axiom the set ##\Pi_{\gamma\in \Gamma}A_\gamma## is not empty as long as all the sets ##A_\gamma## are not empty
You forgot to mention that the Cartesian product solves a universal mapping problem.

Related to Can sets contain coordinates of points and be used in Cartesian product?

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements. These objects can be anything from numbers to letters to other sets.

2. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by |A|, where A is the set, and it can be any non-negative integer or infinity.

3. What is the Cartesian product of two sets?

The Cartesian product of two sets A and B is a set of all possible ordered pairs (a, b), where a is an element from set A and b is an element from set B. It is denoted by A x B.

4. How is the Cartesian product related to set theory?

The Cartesian product is an important concept in set theory as it allows us to define and understand mathematical operations and concepts such as relations, functions, and mappings.

5. What is the difference between a Cartesian product and a cross product?

A Cartesian product is used in set theory and involves the combination of elements from two sets to form ordered pairs. A cross product, on the other hand, is used in vector algebra and involves the combination of two vectors to form a new vector with specific properties.