Do virtual photons explain this phenomenon?

In summary, the Casimir Effect exists due to the difference in energy between the vacuum inside and outside of plates, which is calculable. The concept of a photon seeing its own reflection in a mirror does not make sense, and the visibility of the beam in the images is due to the low intensity and camera angle. The reflection of light in a mirror is well understood in classical physics and does not involve virtual photons.
Prashan Shan
ChrisVer said:
As for the casimir effect it exists because the "energy" of the vacuum you can have between the plates is infinite , but it's still less infinite than the energy of the vacuum you can have outside the plates. And this difference is calculable.
ChrisVer said:
As for the casimir effect it exists because the "energy" of the vacuum you can have between the plates is infinite , but it's still less infinite than the energy of the vacuum you can have outside the plates. And this difference is calculable.
ok.
this may sound stupid,
first of all i asked this question because i have a doubt that "if a photon can see things around it will it be able to see its own reflection if it aproaches towards a mirror?"
so i played a video of light being reflected in a mirror in slow motion and paused the video.
i saw that before the laser beam came out of the source, the light is reflected in the mirror.
so i thought it may be because of virtual photons.

First image:
1.PNG

Second image:
2.PNG

Science news on Phys.org
Prashan Shan said:
i saw that before the laser beam came out of the source, the light is reflected in the mirror.

You saw what?

Prashan Shan said:
"if a photon can see things around it will it be able to see its own reflection if it aproaches towards a mirror?"

Also I want to understand what you meant with this... what do you mean by photon seeing things around it and seeing its own reflection?

ChrisVer said:
Also I want to understand what you meant with this... what do you mean by photon seeing things around it and seeing its own reflection?
if you have no mass and u are traveling in the speed of light towards a mirror will u see your image in the mirror?

Prashan Shan said:
if you have no mass and u are traveling in the speed of light towards a mirror will u see your image in the mirror?

I haven't thought about this scenario... I guess nope [because the light leaving from me towards the mirror is going to arrive there together with me]... not until I reached the mirror. But again the sentence doesn't really makes sense...

ChrisVer said:
I haven't thought about this scenario... I guess nope [because the light leaving from me towards the mirror is going to arrive there together with me]... not until I reached the mirror. But again the sentence doesn't really makes sense...
see the 2 images which i have uploaded. in the first image u can see a small green spot on the mirror, but why does the path of light is not visible

Prashan Shan said:
see the 2 images which i have uploaded. in the first image u can see a small green spot on the mirror, but why does the path of light is not visible

Because of its low intensity...Obviously there seems to be a beam visible (incoming and outgoing).

ChrisVer said:
Because of its low intensity...Obviously there seems to be a beam visible (incoming and outgoing).
in the 1st image if the intensity of the incident beam is low, then how does a small portion of reflected beam is visible near the mirror?

I guess it's the camera's angle...

ChrisVer said:
I guess it's the camera's angle...
if it is because of camera's angle how it is visible in the 2nd image. the camera is in the same angle as it was before in the 1st image.

Prashan Shan said:
if it is because of camera's angle how it is visible in the 2nd image. the camera is in the same angle as it was before in the 1st image.

The difference between pic1 and pic2, is the beam's intensity...

ChrisVer said:
what if it is coming from opposite direction?

Prashan Shan said:
what if it is coming from opposite direction?

how would it come from opposite direction?

Likes Prashan Shan
it may be virtual photons...
the travel back in time, they travel FTL ...

Prashan Shan said:
it may be virtual photons...

absolutely not... for what we have already mentioned...

Prashan Shan said:
the travel back in time, they travel FTL ...

FTL =?
again this makes no sense... it's obvious in both pics what is happening. And I wouldn't expect any quantum effect in this case (as far as you have a beam, it looks like it's mere optics).

ChrisVer said:
FTL =?
again this makes no sense... it's obvious in both pics what is happening. And I wouldn't expect any quantum effect in this case (as far as you have a beam, it looks like it's mere optics).
ChrisVer said:
FTL =?
i can't understand.

Prashan Shan said:
i can't understand.

by optics, I mean classical optics... what you can't understand?

This has absolutely nothing to do with quantum physics. The reflection of light is perfectly well understood in classical physics and there is no need whatsoever to invoke photons to make this description.

Prashan Shan said:
so i played a video of light being reflected in a mirror in slow motion and paused the video.
so i thought it may be because of virtual photons.

You are incorrect. You cannot see the laser beam unless the light reflects off of something. The 'beam' you see in the air is just light from the laser scattering off of air molecules and dust. At no point do you see the reflection or scattering before the light leaves the laser, despite what you think the video shows.

We can close this thread, as the original question has been answered several times over.

Related to Do virtual photons explain this phenomenon?

1. How do virtual photons explain phenomena?

Virtual photons are particles that are constantly popping in and out of existence in the quantum vacuum. They carry the electromagnetic force and are responsible for interactions between charged particles, which can explain various phenomena such as the attraction and repulsion of magnets.

2. Are virtual photons real particles?

Virtual photons are not considered real particles in the traditional sense, as they cannot be directly measured or detected. However, they play a crucial role in explaining and predicting the behavior of particles in the quantum world.

3. Can virtual photons travel faster than the speed of light?

No, virtual photons cannot travel faster than the speed of light. In the quantum vacuum, they do not have a definite mass or velocity like real particles do, and their speed is determined by the properties of the medium they are traveling through.

4. How do virtual photons affect our everyday lives?

Virtual photons may seem like an abstract concept, but they have a significant impact on our everyday lives. They are responsible for the electromagnetic force, which is essential for many technologies such as electricity, magnetism, and even electronics like computers and smartphones.

5. Can virtual photons be observed or measured?

Virtual photons cannot be observed or measured directly, but their effects can be observed and measured through experiments and calculations. Scientists use mathematical models and theories to understand and predict the behavior of virtual photons in various phenomena.