Do Streamlines Change Shape Depending on Frame of Reference in Fluid Dynamics?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the conversation discusses the change in shape of streamlines around a moving sphere in a flow. The images provided show the difference in the streamlines when viewed from a stationary observer versus an observer moving with the ball. The streamlines in the images are hand-drawn for illustrative purposes and in a viscous flow, the fluid particles would end up at a different location upstream of where they started. The conversation also touches on the derivation of the velocity potential for the problem of "flow around a moving cylinder."
member 428835
Hi PF!

I read that streamlines around a body change according to one's frame of reference. If we consider a sphere that is moving in a flow (low Re) would the streamlines change shape as we change our reference frame from being on the ball verses sitting aside and watching the ball move past us?

I think the two would look basically the same: the streamlines from the ball's frame of reference would look steady and wrap around the ball in an orderly fashion, where the streamlines from a sitting observer's perspective would appear to "move backwards" so as to constantly wrap around the ball.

Any ideas?

Edit: I just found these two images from a paper here: http://webspace.clarkson.edu/projects/crcd/me537/downloads/02_Pastsphere.pdf
The top images are in a moving frame of reference and the bottom two are in a stationary frame (I assume stationary implies as seen from the sphere). Can someone explain these? Perhaps @boneh3ad or @Chestermiller
moving.png
stationary.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The top pictures are the streamlines as viewed by a stationary observer. The bottom pictures are the streamlines as viewed by an observer moving with the ball. The top is basically the equivalent of subtracting the free-stream velocity from the bottom images. Basically, if you sit still and watch a ball pass, it will push a fluid particle away from its front, and then the particle will wrap back around the ball (or try to) due to the pressure gradient and end up fairly close to where it started (exactly where it started for potential flow).

Likes Chestermiller
boneh3ad said:
Basically, if you sit still and watch a ball pass, it will push a fluid particle away from its front, and then the particle will wrap back around the ball (or try to) due to the pressure gradient and end up fairly close to where it started (exactly where it started for potential flow).
So for the upper figures are you suggesting that the curved streamlines are actually parts of a circle that will reconnect? This is evident for the upper right, but the upper left doesn't seem like it would ever attach to itself.

joshmccraney said:
So for the upper figures are you suggesting that the curved streamlines are actually parts of a circle that will reconnect? This is evident for the upper right, but the upper left doesn't seem like it would ever attach to itself.

Well those pictures are clearly not computed streamlines. They are hand-drawn for illustrative purposes. In a viscous flow, the ball would drag some of the fluid with it, so a fluid particle would likely still loop around, but it would end at a different location upstream of where it started (upstream as in further along the ball's movement path, which is upstream in the case of the stationary ball frame).

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Hi, i want to know if there is any reference regarding the derivation of this velocity potential.
By which i mean the problem of "flow around a moving cylinder". I want to derive the velocity potential of the fluid around a moving cylinder.

Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
dimasmr21 said:
Hi, i want to know if there is any reference regarding the derivation of this velocity potential.
By which i mean the problem of "flow around a moving cylinder". I want to derive the velocity potential of the fluid around a moving cylinder.

Thank you !
Post a new thread.

BvU said:
Post a new thread.
sorry, i will start a new thread.

Related to Do Streamlines Change Shape Depending on Frame of Reference in Fluid Dynamics?

What are fluids and streamlines?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. Streamlines refer to the path that a fluid particle follows as it moves through a fluid.

What is the importance of studying fluids and streamlines?

Understanding fluids and streamlines is crucial in many fields such as engineering, meteorology, and biology. It helps in designing efficient systems, predicting weather patterns, and understanding blood flow in the body.

How are streamlines visualized?

Streamlines can be visualized using a technique called flow visualization. This involves adding dye or particles to the fluid and observing their movement to reveal the direction and patterns of streamlines.

What factors affect the flow of fluids?

The flow of fluids can be affected by various factors such as viscosity, density, temperature, and pressure. These factors can change the speed and direction of flow and create turbulence.

What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications such as designing airplane wings, optimizing car aerodynamics, predicting ocean currents, and understanding the spread of pollutants in the environment.