Do Neutrons Feel Strong Nuclear Force?

In summary, neutrons, despite being uncharged particles, do experience the strong nuclear force. This is because the strong force is not related to electric charge, but to a different property called "color." The strong force is responsible for binding neutrons and protons together in the nucleus, and it does not require an external force to keep them together. This is due to the exchange of particles called mesons, which act as a sort of nuclear glue.
FizixFreak
do neutrons also feel strong nuclear force and if they do how is that possible because they are uncharched and no force is required to keep them together
?

Physics news on Phys.org
FizixFreak said:
do neutrons also feel strong nuclear force and if they do how is that possible because they are uncharched and no force is required to keep them together
?

Neutrons ARE affected by strong force
I don't understand your second question

netheril96 said:
Neutrons ARE affected by strong force
I don't understand your second question

what i mean to say is that since neutrons have no charge you don't need to do work against their electrostatic repulsion and hence no force is required to keep them together then why they experience strong nuclear force?(i am trying my best to explain my self simply my english is not to well):blushing:

The neutron binding energy to the proton in deuterium is about 2.2 MeV.

Bob S

FizixFreak said:
what i mean to say is that since neutrons have no charge you don't need to do work against their electrostatic repulsion and hence no force is required to keep them together then why they experience strong nuclear force?(i am trying my best to explain my self simply my english is not to well):blushing:

I still don't understand why neutrons should not be affected by strong force because it is chargeless.Are you asking why God devised the world like this?

FizixFreak said:
?
I think you are confusing the strong force with the electromagnetic force. Charge is for the electromagnetic force and it comes in two types, positive and negative. "Color" is for the strong force and it comes in three types, "red" "green" and "blue". The quotes are because the charge of the strong force has nothing whatsoever to do with the spectrum of visible light that makes up a rainbow, despite the rather silly names that suggest otherwise.

DaleSpam said:
I think you are confusing the strong force with the electromagnetic force. Charge is for the electromagnetic force and it comes in two types, positive and negative. "Color" is for the strong force and it comes in three types, "red" "green" and "blue". The quotes are because the charge of the strong force has nothing whatsoever to do with the spectrum of visible light that makes up a rainbow, despite the rather silly names that suggest otherwise.

netheril96 said:
I still don't understand why neutrons should not be affected by strong force because it is chargeless.Are you asking why God devised the world like this?

so r u saying that a particle does not have to be charged to experience strong nuclear force ?
and what about the colours i have never heard someone referring to nuclear force by colours

thanx i will check them out

dude... neutrons (and even protons)have few particles called mesons(look for mesons theory) so due to the exchange of these particles,the charge of the nucleons keep shifting and a sort of nuclear glue is formed which the neutrons need not use any force externally to keep then together.

Related to Do Neutrons Feel Strong Nuclear Force?

1. What is the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom by overcoming the repulsive forces between positively charged protons.

2. How does the strong nuclear force work?

The strong nuclear force works by exchanging particles, called gluons, between quarks that make up protons and neutrons. These gluons create a strong attractive force between the quarks, keeping them bound together to form the nucleus.

3. Do neutrons feel the strong nuclear force?

Yes, neutrons do feel the strong nuclear force. As they are made up of quarks, they are affected by the exchange of gluons and are held together in the nucleus by the strong force.

4. Can the strong nuclear force be observed?

No, the strong nuclear force cannot be observed directly. It is only detected through its effects, such as holding the nucleus together, and can be studied through experiments and mathematical models.

5. How does the strong nuclear force differ from the other fundamental forces?

The strong nuclear force is significantly stronger than the other fundamental forces, but it has a very short range, only acting within the nucleus of an atom. It also does not have any repulsive effects, unlike electromagnetism and weak nuclear force.