Do most solenoid valves work for high acceleration loads?

In summary, the fuel system for the ramjet experiment is not designed for this type of acceleration and may not survive the launch. However, Adel may be able to use basic principals to determine if the actuator pin will malfunction.
Adelaide_AURa
hey guys,
i'm currently designing a fuel system for a ramjet to be tested onbaord a sounding rocket but it's going to pull around 100g's of acceleration.

i can't get a hold of the manufacturer (still waiting for an email) and the supplier here in aus hasn't got a clue if it will survive the launch and operate properly after.

so i was wondering if any of you guys would know if these suckers are designed for this stuff or not:
burkert.com/products_data/datasheets/DS5404-Standard-EU-EN.pdf

(the G 1/2 one)

Regards

Josh

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump

i finally spoke to one of their staff today and he explained that they don't do that kind of testing for this type of valve.

does anyone know how to work out if the actuator pin will malfunction? like is their theory behind these things in enough detail to do that?

i'm guessing the only way to know for sure is to test it.

Hi Adel',
You should be able to use basic principals on something like this. F=ma always applies. The force produced by springs and solenoids doesn't change due to the valve's overall acceleration, but there are additional forces created by the accelerating parts. You'll find the valve has to be looked at from various angles as there will be forces on the poppet in the direction of the poppet's motion if it coincides with the acceleration of the valve overall. Side loads on the poppet would similarly create increased frictional loads.

Start by getting a good drawing of the valve along with spring loads, masses, etc... and just start looking at what an acceleration in any given direction will do. Note that it may also cause something such as the poppet to oscilate if it unloads a spring sufficiently such that a part (ex: the poppet) comes away from a stop.

Related to Do most solenoid valves work for high acceleration loads?

1. How do solenoid valves work for high acceleration loads?

Solenoid valves use an electromechanical principle to control the flow of fluids or gases. When a current is applied to the solenoid coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls a plunger or armature towards the coil, opening the valve. For high acceleration loads, the solenoid coil must be able to generate a strong enough magnetic field to overcome the inertia of the plunger or armature.

2. What factors determine the suitability of a solenoid valve for high acceleration loads?

The main factors that determine the suitability of a solenoid valve for high acceleration loads are the strength of the magnetic field generated by the solenoid coil, the weight and size of the plunger or armature, and the response time of the valve. These factors are influenced by the design and materials used in the construction of the solenoid valve.

3. Can all solenoid valves handle high acceleration loads?

No, not all solenoid valves are designed to handle high acceleration loads. Some solenoid valves may be better suited for low flow rates or low pressure applications, while others are specifically designed for high acceleration loads. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications to determine the suitability of a solenoid valve for a specific application.

4. What are the potential consequences of using a solenoid valve not designed for high acceleration loads?

Using a solenoid valve not designed for high acceleration loads can lead to various consequences, such as reduced valve response time, increased wear and tear on the valve components, and ultimately, valve failure. This can result in costly downtime and maintenance, as well as potential safety hazards if the valve controls critical processes.

5. How can I ensure that a solenoid valve will work for high acceleration loads?

The best way to ensure that a solenoid valve will work for high acceleration loads is to choose a valve specifically designed for this purpose. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and ratings of the valve, including the maximum acceleration it can handle, to ensure it is suitable for the intended application. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper installation can also help to prolong the lifespan of a solenoid valve and ensure its optimal performance.