Do I Need to Divide the Constant and Term in Separation of Variables?

In summary, separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations by separating a multivariable function into simpler functions that only depend on one variable. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, to model and understand complex systems and make predictions. The steps for using separation of variables involve identifying the variables, separating the equation, solving each individual equation, and combining the solutions. It can be used to solve initial value, boundary value, and eigenvalue problems, as well as applied to systems such as heat conduction, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics. The advantages of using separation of variables include simplifying complex equations, allowing for exact solutions, and versatility in different fields of science.
Cooler
Im doing separation of variables now and I am stuck...ive come up to this stage

-5 ln 2-3i = t^2/2 + C

my problem is do i need to divide the C and t^2/2 by -5? or don't divide the C?

please help me..
thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need an initial condition.

sorry i don't get it...im trying to make the general solution...from the question i(0) = 12

So setting t=0 shows that -5ln|2-3*i(0)|=C=> -5ln|2-36|=C=>-5ln(34)=C, so substitute this into your equation.

ok thanks for the help

Related to Do I Need to Divide the Constant and Term in Separation of Variables?

What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves separating a multivariable function into simpler functions that are each dependent on only one variable.

How is separation of variables used in science?

Separation of variables is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, to solve differential equations that describe physical phenomena. It allows scientists to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

What are the steps for using separation of variables to solve a differential equation?

The first step is to identify the variables in the equation and group them together. Then, the equation is separated into two or more equations, each involving only one variable. These equations are then solved individually, and the solutions are combined to form the final solution to the original equation.

What types of problems can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables is commonly used to solve initial value problems, boundary value problems, and eigenvalue problems. It can also be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including heat conduction, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics.

What are the advantages of using separation of variables?

One advantage of separation of variables is that it simplifies complex equations and makes them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of analytical methods to find exact solutions, rather than approximations. Additionally, it is a versatile technique that can be applied to a variety of problems in different fields of science.