Do I need these classes from a community college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for certain classes from a community college for transferring to a university and the relevance of these classes for different majors. The suggestion is made to contact an advisor from the target university to determine which classes will transfer. It is also mentioned that some universities have transfer guides on their websites. The individual in the conversation shares their experience with a similar situation and provides information about transfer agreements between community colleges and universities. The importance of computer languages and the possibility of using these classes as electives is also mentioned. Ultimately, it is advised to speak with advisors from both the community college and the target university to determine the best course of action.
liubare
Do I need these classes from a community college??

I'm currently attending a community college and going to transfer to a university.
I am having an endless debate on rather I want to go EE, ME or Engineer Physics. I need to decide soon so I'm not wasting time at school...

Anyway, the community college wants me to take two classes I'm not sure are relevant for the university major in EE or ME - Engineering Design (CAD class), a general 1 hour class Intro to engineering, C, C++, and Linux...

I've been told these are certificate classes and I shouldn't be taking them. Any opinions out there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The best thing would be to contact an advisor from the school(s) that you plan on transferring to and ask them which classes would be transferrable.
Sometimes, local universities may even have a transfer guide on their websites that tells you exactly which classes from local community colleges will transfer and what their equivalent classes are.
Just off the top of my head, however, the computer languages are important to learn and may be transferrable. The others, however, do not appear to be anything that would transfer.

I'm in a similar situation ( but you will definitely have to talk with an advisor who know wht will transfer).

What I have found is at my CC, the Intro ENG(1hr becomes 1hr elective) which is required before Eng CAD1(3hr becomes 3hr elective), then Cad2(3hr becomes 2hr required coures with 1hr as elective).
http://catalog.volstate.acalog.com/preview_program.php?catoid=11&poid=495&returnto=247
http://www.tntech.edu/transfers/volunteerst2010/

In essence I have to do 7hrs at CC to transfer to 2hr at Uni, with the other 5hrs becoming electives.

Yours maybe similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your community college may have existing transfer agreements with local 4 year schools. If so you should read the specifics of those agreements. This site seems to be a good resource for this:
http://www.collegetransfer.net/Search/SearchforTransferAgreements/tabid/141/default.aspx"

Last edited by a moderator:

If they are technical/certificate classes - then it's highly unlikely that they will transfer. If you are finding yourself lacking classes to take a particular term - they might be very good enrichment as some of the CAD and programming skills may help in an internship, so it definitely would not be a 'total waste'.

But ultimately, talk to an advisor at your CC and at your target Uni.

Related to Do I need these classes from a community college?

1. Do community college classes count towards my degree?

Yes, community college classes can count towards your degree. Many universities have transfer agreements with community colleges, allowing students to transfer credits towards their degree. It is important to check with your specific university and program to make sure the classes you take at a community college will count towards your degree requirements.

2. Are community college classes easier than university classes?

It is a common misconception that community college classes are easier than university classes. While the teaching styles and class sizes may vary, the material and expectations are often similar. It is important to put in the same amount of effort and dedication to succeed in both community college and university classes.

3. Can I take community college classes while I am enrolled in university?

Yes, it is possible to take community college classes while enrolled in university. This is known as dual enrollment and can be a great way to save money and get a head start on your degree. However, it is important to make sure the classes you take at the community college will transfer to your university and count towards your degree requirements.

4. Will taking community college classes affect my GPA?

Yes, taking community college classes can affect your GPA. If the classes are transferable and count towards your degree, the grades you receive will be factored into your overall GPA. It is important to put in the same effort and dedication in community college classes as you would in university classes to maintain a high GPA.

5. Are community college classes more affordable than university classes?

In general, community college classes are more affordable than university classes. The cost per credit hour is often lower at a community college, and there may be additional financial aid options available. However, it is important to consider the transferability of credits and the overall cost of your degree when deciding whether to take classes at a community college.