Do I Need a Property Tax Lawyer?

In summary, the individual has recently purchased a new farm house and has found that the property taxes are too high compared to the actual price of the property. They are seeking advice on how to get a reduction on their property taxes and if they need to hire a property tax lawyer. The recommended course of action is to get a home appraiser to determine the value of the property and then take that value to the city hall to adjust the taxes for the following year. The process for filing an appeal for property taxes is also explained, including the need to do so within 30 days of receiving the valuation notice. Additional evidence that may help to support the value of the property is also suggested, such as a recent appraisal, signed sales contract,
steve2015
I have Recently Buyed a new Farm House and Taxes on that is too high according to the actual price of that property, so to get reduction on my property tax. Do I need a Property tax lawyer?
Please Help…..

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a home appraiser and then once they give you a value, take it to your city hall and they will adjust your taxes for next year.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You need to get a home appraiser and then once they give you a value, take it to your city hall and they will adjust your taxes for next year.
In all of the states I've owned homes, property tax was assessed and collected by the county. I guess it must differ by state if yours is handled by the city. He'll need to check for his state. In the county I currently live in, it is a very convoluted appeals process. You can get an independent appraisal, and submit that with your request for appeal, and you can only request an appeal in the 30 days prior to the date of mailing of the valuation notice. There is no guarantee that they will agree with the private appraisal.

How do I file an appeal?
The Appraiser’s Office tries to make the process as simple as possible. The appeal form and instructions are on the back of the Notice of Appraised Value. You can even request an evening appointment or a telephone hearing (available on a limited basis).

By law, you must file your appeal 30 days subsequent to the date of mailing of the valuation notice.

What happens after I appeal?

The first level of an appeal is the informal hearing. You are notified by mail at least 10 days prior of the date of the hearing.

Once you start this appeal, be sure to pursue it to your satisfaction. If you drop it, you cannot appeal later on the same property in the same tax year.

STEP 2

~ Preparing for a Residential Appeal ~

A property owner can prepare for an appeal hearing by reviewing the characteristics of the property as listed on the appraiser’s Property Record Card. Check the square footage of living area, number of baths, and bedrooms, lot size, garages, condition and etc.

Ask the Appraiser’s Office for a copy of the Comparable Sales Sheet and review the other properties listed on the document for differences in characteristics, size, location, style, etc.

If you feel that the sales listed on the comparable sales sheet are very different from your property, the Appraiser’s Office or a local real estate broker can make available the prices of actual sales of homes that have occurred in your subdivision or neighborhood.

Additional evidence that may help to support the value for your residential property is as follows:

A recent appraisal such as those done for a home or commercial loan or refinancing

A signed sales contract

Photographs of any structural damage
Copies of recent estimates for repairs along with photographs and

Data on recent sales in your area for property that is similar to their own.

Last edited:
Or in the Op's case, the country he lives in. I should've guessed sooner due to the broken English. It's part one of a two part spam! This exact OP is spammed across the internet.

Still the information on property taxes is interesting.

Last edited:

Related to Do I Need a Property Tax Lawyer?

1. What is a property tax lawyer and what do they do?

A property tax lawyer is a legal professional who specializes in issues related to property taxes. They can represent individuals or businesses in disputes with tax authorities, provide advice on tax planning strategies, and assist with filing property tax appeals.

2. When should I consider hiring a property tax lawyer?

You should consider hiring a property tax lawyer if you are facing a tax dispute, have questions about your property tax assessment, or need assistance with filing a tax appeal. They can also help with tax planning strategies to minimize your property tax liability.

3. How can a property tax lawyer help me save money?

A property tax lawyer can help you save money by reviewing your property tax assessment and identifying any errors or discrepancies that may be inflating your tax bill. They can also provide advice on tax planning strategies to minimize your property tax liability.

4. What should I look for in a property tax lawyer?

When looking for a property tax lawyer, you should consider their experience and track record in handling similar cases, their knowledge of local tax laws, and their communication and negotiation skills. It's also important to make sure they have a good reputation and are licensed to practice law in your state.

5. How much does a property tax lawyer cost?

The cost of hiring a property tax lawyer can vary depending on factors such as their experience, location, and the complexity of your case. Some lawyers may charge an hourly rate, while others may work on a contingency basis or offer a flat fee for certain services. It's important to discuss fees and payment options with a lawyer before hiring them.