Do I have to know all the euclidean elements proofs?

In summary, it is not necessary to memorize all of the propositions in Euclid's Elements. However, if you want to be able to understand and prove things for yourself, reading the book is a good idea.
simpy
Is it necessary to know the proofs of all the propositions in Euclid's elements?
Or one can directly jump to euclidean and precollege geometry, of course he/she will have knowledge of propositions( just the statements and all that) but not the proofs.
Reply Quickly.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it that you want to do??

I don't think knowing all the elements proofs by heart will help you. Of course, you must be able to understand all the proofs and to be able to prove things for yourself. But memorizing the proofs is senseless.

Reading Euclid's Elements is not necessary for one who is just beginning to study geometry. However, you might find it both interesting and useful. Give it a shot if you have time. As always, learn for the sake of knowledge.

simpy said:
Is it necessary to know the proofs of all the propositions in Euclid's elements?
Or one can directly jump to euclidean and precollege geometry, of course he/she will have knowledge of propositions( just the statements and all that) but not the proofs.
No one cares about Euclid's propositions or proofs. This type of geometry is only used as a training tool to get the concept of "proof" into pupil's heads. Euclidean-type geometry is later completely replaced by analytic geometry or geometric algebra, both of which are *MUCH* more powerful and make most of the proofs either trivial or excercises in calculation (the kind of calculation you can type into Mathematica and get the right answer immediately).
simpy said:
Reply Quickly.
Do not write something like this. It is counter-productive.

Something like this that groups all the propositions in the book together under subheadings is a tool you could use for re-deriving the maximum amount of information with the smallest amount of memorization if you actually wanted to do this. I'm trying to do this myself right now & came across this page in search of a different page I'd thought I'd bookmarked that grouped the propositions in a better way than that in the above link & also had more than just the first book of Euclid - if anybody comes across anything like that please post it.

Related to Do I have to know all the euclidean elements proofs?

1. Do I have to memorize all the euclidean elements proofs?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all the euclidean elements proofs. Understanding the principles and concepts behind them is more important. However, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of the proofs and their applications.

2. Will knowing the euclidean elements proofs help me in my scientific field?

Yes, knowing the euclidean elements proofs can be beneficial in many scientific fields, especially in fields that involve geometry and measurement. It can also help with critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Are euclidean elements proofs still relevant in modern science?

Yes, euclidean elements proofs are still relevant in modern science. While they may not be used in every scientific field, they serve as a foundation for many mathematical and scientific principles.

4. Is it important to understand the history and development of euclidean elements proofs?

Understanding the history and development of euclidean elements proofs can provide context and a deeper understanding of the principles involved. It can also help in understanding how these proofs have evolved and been applied over time.

5. Are there any resources that can help me better understand euclidean elements proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and educational videos that can help you better understand euclidean elements proofs. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through proofs to improve your understanding.