Do I have entangled mittens?

• I
  • Thread starter SimplePrimate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entangled
In summary, the conversation discusses the inadequacy of the classical view in understanding quantum paired particles and the role of hidden variables. Bell's Theorem and its implications are also mentioned, along with the need to understand the specific calculations involved in quantum mechanics in order to fully comprehend the theory. The conversation also touches on the controversy surrounding Einstein's legacy and his contributions to quantum mechanics.
SimplePrimate
TL;DR Summary
Why are classical descriptions of particle pairs now considered inadequate?
In my messy apartment I might well find a right-hand mitten, and immediately know the left-hand state of its missing partner. A classical description works just fine for this (their opposite states were produced at the time of manufacture) and I don't need to consider my observation of one causes the state of the other.

Why is this classical view inadequate for understanding quantum paired particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "Dr. Bertlmann's Socks"

SimplePrimate said:
Why is this classical view inadequate for understanding quantum paired particles?
Your mittens have so-called "hidden variables". I.e. one is definitely a right mitten and one a left mitten. Properties of QM particles are not pre-defined, but result from measurement.

Bell's Theorem shows that (local) hidden variables cannot reproduce the results of QM.

Likes hutchphd and Lord Jestocost
I believe Einstein argued unsuccessfully for hidden variables. I'll have to read up on why, but was hoping I might get a primer here on the thrust of Bell's argument.

SimplePrimate said:
I believe Einstein argued unsuccessfully for hidden variables. I'll have to read up on why, but was hoping I might get a primer here on the thrust of Bell's argument.
Bell's argument is statistical in nature. The simplest description is as follows:

QM uses complex probability amplitudes. Whereas, classical hidden variables use traditional probabilities. This gives QM generally more flexibility in terms of correlating data, as the complex amplitudes are able to combine in more flexible ways that classical probabilities.

Bell identified a particular experiment where QM could "beat" anything that hidden variables could do. (*) That experiment has been carried out with the results predicted by QM.

To understand Bell's theorem you have to look at the specific calculations that QM uses andd compare these with the calculations involving classical probabilities. It's not that difficult, but again it belies the idea that you can truly understand physics without putting in the hard work of study!

As an aside, the non-classical behaviour at the heart of QM underpins everything that makes our universe interesting: essentially by underpinning chemistry and sub-atomic processes.

The sad thing about Einstein's legacy, I believe, is that he didn't have a practical alternative to QM. If we didn't have QM, then we wouldn't have anything by way of an explanation for atoms and chemistry.

(*) Ironically, Bell was hoping to disprove QM by his theorem! In the end, the experiments not only vindicated QM but ended Einstein's dream.

PeroK: "To understand Bell's theorem you have to look at the specific calculations that QM uses andd compare these with the calculations involving classical probabilities. It's not that difficult, but again it belies the idea that you can truly understand physics without putting in the hard work of study!"

Lack of maths seems like a lax oversight, but some of us struggle with numbers in very much the same way dyslexic learners do with written words. But you do what you can.

I'll see if Bertlmann's socks enlighten me first up.

Perhaps this video can help you better understand violation of Bell's inequalities:

Likes PeroK
SimplePrimate said:
You will find many older threads here, and two of the better starting points are this Scientific American article and the web site maintained by our own @DrChinese. There is also Louisa Gilder's book The age of entanglement which readably covers the century-long history of our attempts to understand entanglement.

The very quick summary is that entanglement is not like your mittens. If you find a left-handed glove you know its mate is right-handed because you started with a left/right pair. However, with spin-entangled quantum particles when we measure one of them spin-up it does not mean that we started with an up/down pair and the other one is down, it means that the other one is now in a state such that if we measure its spin on the same axis we will get down. Bell's theorem shows that there are subtle statistical differences between "We know it is spin down" and "We know that if we measure it on this axis we will get spin down"; these differences will show up in carefully designed experiments; the experiments have been done; they agree with quantum mechanics and not the lost mitten model.

Likes Lord Jestocost and PeroK
To our many fans of QM Interpretations discussions: I remind you that this thread is not in the Interpretations sub-forum. Please respect the policy
Greg Bernhardt said:
Summary:: Explanation of the guidelines needed for productive discussion in the Quantum Physics forum

Only the basic mathematical framework and experimental predictions of QM are discussed here, not QM interpretations or foundations (i.e., shut up and calculate).
Please restrict your comments accordingly. Those who cannot do so on their own will be assisted by the moderation staff.

Likes Motore, vanhees71 and DrChinese
PeroK said:
The sad thing about Einstein's legacy, I believe, is that he didn't have a practical alternative to QM. If we didn't have QM, then we wouldn't have anything by way of an explanation for atoms and chemistry.
Not sure why this should be sad, or even have anything to do with Einstein's legacy. He never claimed to have an alternative to QM, practical or not. He invented some pretty nice paradoxes, and some of his paradoxes improved our understanding of QM.

His own approach to physics was related to paradoxes from the very beginning. Bohr always wanted Einstein to make contributions to quantum mechanics rather than focusing on relativity. So Einstein contributed the best he could contribute, and that were his paradoxes.

Likes vanhees71 and DrChinese
SimplePrimate said:
PeroK: "To understand Bell's theorem you have to look at the specific calculations that QM uses andd compare these with the calculations involving classical probabilities. It's not that difficult, but again it belies the idea that you can truly understand physics without putting in the hard work of study!"

Lack of maths seems like a lax oversight, but some of us struggle with numbers in very much the same way dyslexic learners do with written words. But you do what you can.

If you want to tackle the Bell concept using very easy math, I would point you to a page I created for this purpose: Bell's Theorem with Easy Math. It shows precisely how the "mitten model" (or Bertlmann's socks model) predicts a value in one case of at least 33%, where the Quantum Mechanical expectation is 25%. Experiment says the value is 25%, thus refuting the classical models.

http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

• Informative
Likes gentzen, Dale, vanhees71 and 1 other person

Related to Do I have entangled mittens?

1. What is entanglement in relation to mittens?

Entanglement refers to a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even when they are separated by large distances. In relation to mittens, entanglement would mean that the mittens are connected or intertwined in some way.

2. How do I know if my mittens are entangled?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that mittens can become entangled in the same way that particles can. Mittens are physical objects and do not exhibit quantum properties. Therefore, it is unlikely that your mittens are entangled.

3. Can entangled mittens become untangled?

As mentioned before, mittens do not exhibit quantum properties and therefore cannot become entangled. However, if your mittens are tangled or knotted, they can be untangled by carefully undoing the knots or separating the tangled yarn.

4. Is there any benefit to having entangled mittens?

Since mittens cannot become entangled, there are no benefits to having entangled mittens. However, if you are referring to the entanglement of particles, there are potential applications for quantum computing and communication.

5. How can I prevent my mittens from becoming entangled?

To prevent your mittens from becoming entangled, you can store them separately or in a way that they do not become tangled. For example, you can use a mitten clip or keep them in a designated mitten compartment in your bag. This will help keep your mittens organized and prevent them from getting tangled with other items.