Do Entangled Quantum Particles Remain Aligned After Initial Preparation?

In summary: the difficult part is that the results of spin measurements always end up correlated, even though the individual measurement results are random.
stevendaryl said:
The issue isn't whether the readings are "unsharp". It's whether there can be a superposition of different outcomes. If a device is in a superposition of "the pointer points to the left" and "the pointer points to the right", then it doesn't give a unique measurement result. This isn't an issue of "sharpness". It doesn't matter how distinct the two measurement results are, if the device can be in a superposition of the two. So your original claim, that we only see one result because we designed the device that way, is just not correct.

This issue is only partly resolved by decoherence, as @PeterDonis said. Decoherence tells us that there can't be (at least, not easily) a superposition of macroscopically distinguishable "pointer states". But it's not because one of the possibilities disappears. It's because the superposition spreads to the environment.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevendaryl said:
But if you periodically check to see whether the atom has decayed or not, then your observation will reset it to the pure undecayed state. In other words, observing the atom to be undecayed resets it to be in its initial state.

I'm aware that this sounds convincing for some theoreticians. Unfortunately it is not a practical way for dealing with radioactive waste. It's the typical discrepancy between quantum theory and the real world.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
WernerQH said:
I'm aware that this sounds convincing for some theoreticians. Unfortunately it is not a practical way for dealing with radioactive waste. It's the typical discrepancy between quantum theory and the real world.

I don't understand what you're saying is a discrepancy.

stevendaryl said:
Can you prevent radioactive decay through measuring?
The quantum Zeno effect is not practical.

stevendaryl said:
The issue isn't whether the readings are "unsharp". It's whether there can be a superposition of different outcomes. If a device is in a superposition of "the pointer points to the left" and "the pointer points to the right", then it doesn't give a unique measurement result. This isn't an issue of "sharpness". It doesn't matter how distinct the two measurement results are, if the device can be in a superposition of the two. So your original claim, that we only see one result because we designed the device that way, is just not correct.
What I tried to say is that a measurement device for measuring an observable ##A## is constructed such that it always delivers a definite outcome for the valud of this observable, no matter in which state the system is prepared (and of course with final resolution/accuracy).

You cannot observe from a single measurement, whether your system is in a pure state and then in a superposition wrt. the eigenbasis of ##\hat{A}## or not. A single measurement by construction delivers one definite value for ##A##, not more not less. It doesn't make sense to talk about "measuring a superposition or not". We don't measure "state kets" (providing the formal description of a preparation procedure) nor "self-adjoint operators" (providing a formal description of a measurement procedure)!

By preparing an ensemble of systems in a given state (for which you need an appropriate device too) and always measuring ##A## you get a probability distribution for the outcome of measurements of ##A##. To experimentally determine the state given some preparation procedure (maybe leading to an unknown, usually mixed, state) you need to do more then just the measurement of one single observable.

For a thorough discussion about "state determination", see L. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics.

Likes PeroK
stevendaryl said:
Sorry, to me the discrepancy is so obvious that I was baffled by your question. Experimenters have never observed a radioactive atom in a superposition of decayed and non-decayed states, with half an electron and half a neutrino escaping to infinity. A coherent superposition, if it exists, lasts for at most a fraction of a second. Yet theoreticians envision wave functions that evolve gradually over the course of hours, days, or even years. I find it baffling how people can think of such a wave function as a faithful description of a single radioactive atom.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, vanhees71 and PeroK