Do I have a chance for Medical Physics?

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, Geremia is concerned that her school is not well known, her stats are not excellent, and she is not from one of the top schools in the U.S. However, she takes classes with some medical physics students and her radiation-detection class shows that she is interested in the field. She is hopeful that she can be accepted to a grad program.
migmigra
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I need you guys honest opinion. I really want to go to one of the accredited medical physics universities in the U.S.
I am a senior at a school, and my stats are

GPA:3.89
Major: Biophysics
Class: general bio and some upper division bio, inorganic&orgaic chem, phys, bio-phys, math
GRE: math:710, Eng: 340, WR: 3.0
Research: in computational physics (only for a month><), in system physiology, and in biochemistry
doing vp for biophysics department for 2 years

My concern is that I am not coming from one of the top schools in the U.S. My school is not well known and physics department is tiny...><

Plz give me advise////

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
migmigra said:
GPA:3.89
Major: Biophysics
Class: general bio and some upper division bio, inorganic&orgaic chem, phys, bio-phys, math
GRE: math:710, Eng: 340, WR: 3.0
Research: in computational physics (only for a month><), in system physiology, and in biochemistry
doing vp for biophysics department for 2 years

My concern is that I am not coming from one of the top schools in the U.S. My school is not well known and physics department is tiny...><
I took a class at a state university with some medical physics students, and they were very bright. Judging from the information you gave, you should do well, and the size of your undergrad shouldn't matter too much. Have you taken the physics GRE? Is that required for medical students? If so, you might not do too well since it seems you haven't had quantum, thermodynamics, or modern physics classes, have you?

Hello Geremia,

Thank you for your advise.
Actually ucla(where I want to go) and most of the accredited schools do not require physics subject test. I had quantum physics but i did not spend much time for thermodynamics and modern physics because I was heavily biophysics. I took biomedical imaging and hope that helps tho...
I'm wondering if they accept international students and wondering what qualities they are looking for among applicants...

migmigra said:
I took biomedical imaging and hope that helps tho...
I'm wondering if they accept international students and wondering what qualities they are looking for among applicants...
Yes, I took a radiation-detection class with students interested in biomedical imaging, and, yes, many of them were international students.

Geremia said:
Yes, I took a radiation-detection class with students interested in biomedical imaging, and, yes, many of them were international students.

Thanks Geremia,

That's good to know:)
I hope I can be accepted to one of the accredited grad programs.

Related to Do I have a chance for Medical Physics?

1. Can I become a Medical Physicist with a degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to become a Medical Physicist with a degree in a different field. Many Medical Physicists have backgrounds in physics, engineering, or mathematics, but there are also Medical Physicists with degrees in other sciences such as biology or chemistry. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, but there are also graduate programs specifically for those with non-traditional backgrounds.

2. What are the required qualifications for becoming a Medical Physicist?

To become a Medical Physicist, you need a graduate degree in medical physics or a related field, such as physics or engineering. You also need to complete a clinical residency program and pass a certification exam. Some countries may have additional requirements, so it is important to research the specific qualifications in your desired location.

3. Is medical physics a competitive field?

Yes, medical physics is a highly competitive field. It requires a strong academic background, as well as clinical experience and certification. It is important to gain research experience and stand out in your academic performance to increase your chances of being accepted into a graduate program and securing a job in the field.

4. What kind of work do Medical Physicists do?

Medical Physicists work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, research facilities, and in industry. They use their knowledge of physics to develop and implement technology and techniques for medical imaging, radiation therapy, and nuclear medicine. They also ensure the safety and accuracy of these procedures for patients and healthcare professionals.

5. What are the future job prospects for Medical Physicists?

The job outlook for Medical Physicists is positive, with a projected growth rate of 14% from 2019-2029. This is faster than the average for all occupations. As the demand for advanced medical procedures, such as radiation therapy and imaging, continues to increase, the need for qualified Medical Physicists will also grow. Additionally, with advancements in technology and research, there will be opportunities for Medical Physicists to contribute to new developments in the field.