Do I Effectively Have No Chance At a Physics Program Anymore?

In summary, the individual is currently facing academic warning in their associates program in science and math and is concerned about their chances of transferring into a physics program due to their bad work habits. They are considering taking a semester off to work and improve their math skills before returning to school. They plan on discussing their situation with their academic adviser and are hoping to take all required math courses before transferring.
M83
I'm about halfway through my associates program in science and math. This semester I'm on academic warning and I fell behind on the material in the first two months. If I don't raise my GPA enough by the end of the semester I face a situation where I would have to sit out for at least a semester before I could resume my program.

My situation is really stressing me out because I want to transfer into a physics program after I finish my associates program, but my bad work habits are holding me back. I enjoy science and math and when I do practice the material on a consistent basis it's straightforward to me. This is simply an issue of developing better work habits. However, I know getting into a physics program requires little room for error, so what are my chances now if it is likely I have to sit out a semester? Comments from physicists and academic advisers would be much appreciated.

Addendum: I haven't taken the physics and calculus courses that are required of my program yet. I've been getting good grades in my math prerequisites (i.e. algebra 1, algebra 2 and precalculus) and astronomy courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a tough situation. Could you just get a job and work for several months, stay out of school for that time, and meanwhile study Algebra 1 and then Algebra 2 on your own to build up your proficiency; and then come back to enroll in the c.c. ? You need to be strong in Mathematics, at least intermediate algebra to begin Calculus 1. You may still need College Algebra & Trigonometry before Calculus 1. Physics requires very strong Mathematics capability.

So I say, maybe stay out of school for a while, work at a job, build up mathematical knowledge on your own; then return to school, the community college.

It is possible to become a successful physicist having sat out a semester. It is not possible with "bad work habits". You know what you need to do.

symbolipoint said:
That's a tough situation. Could you just get a job and work for several months, stay out of school for that time, and meanwhile study Algebra 1 and then Algebra 2 on your own to build up your proficiency; and then come back to enroll in the c.c. ?

My biggest fear right now is my adviser talking me out of a physics career path. Or he may just have me take a withdrawal in some of my courses to keep my GPA afloat so I can still attend school next semester.

M83 said:
My biggest fear right now is my adviser talking me out of a physics career path. Or he may just have me take a withdrawal in some of my courses to keep my GPA afloat so I can still attend school next semester.

Talk about your situation with your advisers right-away. They might or might not know best, but try them as soon as possible. If they're good, at least they may try to give you advice for what is practical now and in the near future.

Your not having taken yet any Physics means you are less able to judge how you like the subject, but anything in the natural or physical sciences will require some Calculus and the courses leading up to it; as well as possibly other Math courses.

symbolipoint said:
Talk about your situation with your advisers right-away. They might or might not know best, but try them as soon as possible. If they're good, at least they may try to give you advice for what is practical now and in the near future.

Your not having taken yet any Physics means you are less able to judge how you like the subject, but anything in the natural or physical sciences will require some Calculus and the courses leading up to it; as well as possibly other Math courses.

I plan on contacting him over the weekend. At the community college I'm attending they offer Calculus 1-3, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. Calculus 1-2 are required and the rest count as math electives in my degree program, so my plan is to take all of them while I'm there so I have enough math preparation once I transfer.

Related to Do I Effectively Have No Chance At a Physics Program Anymore?

1. Will I be disqualified from a physics program if I struggled in high school physics?

No, struggling in high school physics does not automatically disqualify you from a physics program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, such as your overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. If you are passionate about physics and have shown improvement in your academic performance, you still have a chance at being accepted into a physics program.

2. Is it too late for me to pursue a physics degree if I did not take any physics courses in high school?

No, it is not too late. Many universities offer introductory physics courses for students without prior knowledge in the subject. Additionally, you can take physics courses at a community college before transferring to a university. It is also possible to major in physics without taking any high school physics courses, as long as you meet the prerequisites for the program.

3. Can I still get into a physics program if my grades in physics were not as high as my grades in other subjects?

Yes, your grades in physics are just one aspect of your application. Admissions committees also consider your overall academic performance and other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation. If you have a strong overall academic record and can demonstrate your passion and aptitude for physics, you still have a chance at being accepted into a physics program.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage in a physics program if I did not take AP or IB physics courses in high school?

No, not all high schools offer AP or IB physics courses. Admissions committees are aware of this and do not expect all applicants to have taken these courses. As long as you have taken challenging science and math courses and can demonstrate your interest and aptitude for physics, you will not be at a disadvantage in a physics program.

5. Is a physics degree worth pursuing if I am not sure about my career goals?

Yes, a physics degree can open up a variety of career opportunities, ranging from research and academia to industry and technology. Additionally, a physics degree provides valuable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, which are transferable to many other fields. It is also possible to double major or minor in another subject to explore other career interests while still pursuing a physics degree.