Do body composition measures have an impact on wages for both males and females?

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
In summary, the paper finds that increased body fat is unambiguously associated with decreased wages for both males and females, and that a higher level of fat-free body mass is consistently associated with increased hourly wages. This result is in contrast to the mixed and sometimes inconsistent results from the previous research using body mass index.
Moridin
http://papers.nber.org/papers/w13595

This paper examines the effect of body composition on wages. We develop measures of body composition – body fat (BF) and fat-free mass (FFM) – using data on bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) that are available in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III and estimate wage models for respondents in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979. Our results indicate that increased body fat is unambiguously associated with decreased wages for both males and females. This result is in contrast to the mixed and sometimes inconsistent results from the previous research using body mass index (BMI). We also find new evidence indicating that a higher level of fat-free body mass is consistently associated with increased hourly wages. We present further evidence that these results are not the artifacts of unobserved heterogeneity. Our findings are robust to numerous specification checks and to a large number of alternative BIA prediction equations from which the body composition measures are derived.

Our work addresses an important limitation of the current literature on the economics of obesity. Previous research relied on body weight or BMI for measuring obesity despite the growing agreement in the medical literature that they represent misleading measures of obesity because of their inability to distinguish between body fat and fat-free body mass. Body composition measures used in this paper represent significant improvements over the previously used measures because they allow for the effects of fat and fat free components of body composition to be separately identified. Our work also contributes to the growing literature on the role of non-cognitive characteristics on wage determination.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't taking into amount the money they spend on food. :D

The top wage earner in my office must weigh over 300 pounds. She can barley walk.

Evo; OMG, that must be so painful to her. Is she wheezing too?

Everyone hates fat people. (ok not everyone, nice people don't do it, but your average joe). Because they find them "lazy" for not getting into shape, for prioritizing looking like an california specimen of man eating vegan and health-nut foods.

I remember when I weighed over 200 pounds, man it was both really irritating, getting less sleep, being miserable etc. But, the most peculiar part is that now when I am fit; People are more nice to me. I get better service, people think I am more "capable" etc. That is FUBAR.

Now, when you say "people", is it ALL people or just the skinny ones who treat you better?

Yeah, even the fatties treat me better. But the skinny or "normative" ones treat me even better.

I'm taking a course in gerontology, and one of the things that was discussed was that people lose muscle-mass when they get into their later years. Fat Free Mass declines. Since that's on my mind, I couldn't help but wonder if about the ages of the people in the study. People of retirement age in the study would likely have both lower FFM and lower incomes. It seems that would have some effect on the results.

Related to Do body composition measures have an impact on wages for both males and females?

1. Why do fat people earn less cash?

There are a variety of factors that may contribute to this phenomenon. One possible explanation is weight bias and discrimination in the workplace, where individuals who are perceived as overweight or obese may face negative stereotypes and be offered fewer opportunities for advancement or higher-paying jobs. Additionally, there may be health-related limitations that prevent some overweight individuals from pursuing certain careers or working longer hours.

2. Is there a correlation between weight and salary?

Research has shown that there is a correlation between weight and salary, with individuals who are overweight or obese typically earning less than their thinner counterparts. However, it is important to note that correlation does not necessarily imply causation, and other factors may also be at play.

3. Do overweight individuals have lower job performance?

There is no evidence to suggest that overweight individuals have lower job performance compared to their thinner colleagues. In fact, studies have shown that weight has no significant impact on job performance and that weight bias and discrimination in the workplace may actually hinder an individual's performance.

4. Are there any laws protecting against weight discrimination in the workplace?

Currently, there are no federal laws in the United States that specifically protect against weight discrimination in the workplace. However, some states and localities have laws in place that prohibit discrimination based on weight or physical appearance. Additionally, individuals who experience weight discrimination may have legal recourse under existing laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act.

5. Can overweight individuals negotiate for higher salaries?

Yes, overweight individuals can and should negotiate for fair and equal pay, just like anyone else. While weight bias and discrimination may make it more challenging, it is important for individuals to advocate for themselves and their worth in the workplace. It may be helpful to research market salaries for similar positions and come prepared with evidence of your skills and accomplishments during salary negotiations.