Do Black Holes Emit Nuclear Particles Like Electrons and Protons?

In summary, high energy photons are emitted from accretion disc of black hole. Nuclear particles like electrons, protons also emitted in this process? Are there any observation of particles emitted from blackholes? Well, current models typically contain such elements as collimated jets "fed" by an accretion disk which is "fed" by a torus of surrounding matter (perhaps drawn off a companion). However, there are considerable differences between these models concerning the detailed physics in the various regions (torus, disk, jets), and also observational evidence of considerable variation in Nature. Accounting properly for all the energy and momentum is a major issue.
spideyinspace
high energy photons are emitted from accretion disc of black hole...are nuclear particles like electrons,protons also emitted in this process? are there any observation of particles emitted?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, current models typically contain such elements as collimated jets "fed" by an accretion disk which is "fed" by a torus of surrounding matter (perhaps drawn off a companion); see http://chandra.harvard.edu/resources/illustrations/agn/agn_ill_6.html from the Chandra team (Astronomy, Harvard). I am not sure what you mean by "emitted by", but as I understand, collimated jets would probably contain ions ejected at high velocity from the vicinity of the hole.

For example, this paper assumes that electrons
drain energy from the ions as a result of collisionless plasma microinstabilities [in a surrounding region, I think]. Consequently, the accreting gas collapses to form a geometrically thin disk at small radii and is able to cool before reaching the black hole. The accretion disk is not a standard disk, however, because the radial disk structure is modified by a magnetic torque which drives a jet and which is primarily responsible for angular momentum transport.
There are considerable differences between these models concerning the detailed physics in the various regions (torus, disk, jets), and also observational evidence of considerable variation in Nature. See also this, this, this, this, and this, for example. Accounting properly for all the energy and momentum is a major issue.

Last edited:
Chris Hillman said:
Well, current models typically contain such elements as collimated jets "fed" by an accretion disk which is "fed" by a torus of surrounding matter (perhaps drawn off a companion); see http://chandra.harvard.edu/resources/illustrations/agn/agn_ill_6.html from the Chandra team (Astronomy, Harvard). I am not sure what you mean by "emitted by", but as I understand, collimated jets would probably contain ions ejected at high velocity from the vicinity of the hole.

For example, this paper assumes that electrons

There are considerable differences between these models concerning the detailed physics in the various regions (torus, disk, jets), and also observational evidence of considerable variation in Nature. See also this, this, this, this, and this, for example. Accounting properly for all the energy and momentum is a major issue.

Thank you...

if a particle was emited it would not be from the back because black holes don't have an end. but the stuff that they don't eat comes out in long arms out the side but even for the amount of time that rhe particles spend in the black hole, could thay have been worped by the radiation and the verge of nothing on the other side?

athrax, were you previously spideyinspace?

Unfortunately, your post is incoherent so I don't think we'll be able to provide useful feedback except to correct misstatements like this:

athrax said:
but the stuff that they don't eat comes out in long arms out the side but even for the amount of time that rhe particles spend in the black hole,

Arms? Side? I haven't seen such terms used to discuss black holes so I don't know what you are referring to. (Is it possible that English is not your first language? If so, we can try to make allowances for that, and if you tell us your native language, we might even be able to better guess what English word you intended.)

Particles don't spend time in the black hole and then emerge, at least not according to classical gtr, at least not in the most plausible models of real black holes.

(I have recently discussed some caveats in other posts.)

athrax said:
could thay have been worped by the radiation and the verge of nothing on the other side?

Warped by radiation? If you are using standard terms in standard manner, no-one said that anything like that happens!

It sounds like you might have just gotten your first exposure to some popular physics writing--- if it was in New Scientist or some website, it might have been bad popular physics writing. At PF we can and do try to make allowances for the fact that when you don't understand T it can be hard to formulate a coherent question about T; in such cases, it can help to say "I am a high school student who has taken no physics and just read article A in magazine M, which said S, which I don't understand".

Last edited:

Related to Do Black Holes Emit Nuclear Particles Like Electrons and Protons?

1. What exactly are particles from a black hole?

Particles from a black hole refer to any matter or energy that is emitted from the event horizon of a black hole. This can include photons, electrons, and other subatomic particles that are accelerated to high speeds near the black hole.

2. How are particles from a black hole formed?

Particles from a black hole are formed through a process known as Hawking radiation. This is when pairs of particles and antiparticles are created near the event horizon, with one particle being pulled into the black hole and the other escaping as radiation.

3. Can particles from a black hole escape the black hole's strong gravitational pull?

Yes, particles from a black hole can escape the black hole's strong gravitational pull through Hawking radiation. However, this process is very slow for large black holes and only becomes significant for smaller black holes.

4. How do particles from a black hole affect their surroundings?

Particles from a black hole can have a significant impact on their surroundings. For example, they can provide energy and contribute to the heating of interstellar gas. They can also interact with other particles and create intense radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays.

5. Are particles from a black hole dangerous to humans?

No, particles from a black hole are not dangerous to humans. They are usually too far away and too small to cause any harm. In addition, the Earth's atmosphere protects us from most of the high-energy particles that may be emitted from a black hole.