Do 4-divergences affect the eqs of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

In summary, the addition of a 4-divergence term to the Lagrangian does not affect the equations of motion at 0-th order, but can affect the equations of motion for n-th order perturbed quantities. This is because the term may not necessarily be equal to zero in a different configuration. However, adding a background-independent-zero, such as a 4-divergence, will not contribute to the equations of motion for perturbed fields. This is due to the fact that perturbations from the background configuration will still result in a zero contribution. This has been confirmed using XAct for Mathematica.
JuanC97
Intuitively, I'd say that adding a 4-divergence to the Lagrangian should not affect the eqs of motion since the integral of that 4-divergence (of a vector that vanishes at ∞) can be rewritten as a surface term equal to zero, but...

In some theories, the addition of a term that is equal to zero (within a given background and field configuration) gives rise to no modifications in the 0-th order equations but the equations of motion for n-th order perturbed quantities (with n≥1) do change. e.g: A term like $$ \tilde{G}^{\mu\nu}_a A_\mu^a A^\rho_b S_{\nu\rho}^b \;\;\text{with flat FLRW and}\;\; (A_\mu^a=\phi\delta_\mu^a) $$ is equal to zero but it contributes to the eqs of motion of first order perturbed quantities [https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.07961.pdf, eq1].

I notice, though, that in this example the 'zero' that is being added to the Lagrangian might not be zero within a different configuration, so, maybe that's the reason why the equations of motion are not modified at 0-th order but the 1st order ones are. I wonder if this would be the case if we added a 4-divergence instead but, I'm not sure. I have a vibe that variating and then imposing a configuration is not the same as imposing a configuration and then variating, thus, I don't know wether from the fact that (the integral of a 4-divergence is equal to zero) follows that its 2th order variations in the action lead to zero contributions to the 1st order eqs of motion or not. What do you think?. Any help is welcomed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok guys, I've already answer my own question:
Yeah, the equations of motion for higher order perturbed fields remain unchanged, I checked this using XAct for Mathematica. I suppose that the difference with the case of adding a background-dependent-zero is that in that case any perturbation from the background configuration leads to a non zero contribution to the equations of motion, but in the case of adding a divergence, the zero that one is adding is a background-independent-zero and that way its perturbations should not give any contributions.

Related to Do 4-divergences affect the eqs of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

1. How do 4-divergences affect the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

The presence of 4-divergences in the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields can affect the overall dynamics of the system. In some cases, it may lead to additional terms in the equations of motion, while in others it may not have a significant impact. It ultimately depends on the specific form of the 4-divergence and the nature of the perturbed fields.

2. Can 4-divergences completely alter the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

In most cases, 4-divergences do not completely alter the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields. However, they can introduce new terms or modify existing terms, which can have a significant impact on the overall behavior of the system. It is important to carefully analyze the effects of 4-divergences on the equations of motion to fully understand their impact.

3. Are there any known methods to mitigate the effects of 4-divergences on the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

There are various techniques that can be used to mitigate the effects of 4-divergences on the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields. These include using specific gauge choices, applying constraints, or performing a redefinition of the fields. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific system and the desired outcome.

4. Do 4-divergences always cause issues in the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

No, 4-divergences do not always cause issues in the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields. In some cases, they may not have a significant impact on the dynamics of the system and can be safely ignored. However, it is important to carefully consider the presence of 4-divergences and their potential effects when studying perturbed fields.

5. How do 4-divergences relate to the overall behavior of the system in the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields?

The presence of 4-divergences can have a significant impact on the overall behavior of the system in the equations of motion for nth order perturbed fields. They can introduce new dynamics or modify existing ones, which can lead to different outcomes for the system. It is important to carefully analyze the effects of 4-divergences to fully understand their role in the equations of motion.