What Happens to Euler-Lagrange in Field Theories (ADM)?

In summary: In the particle case, the Lagrangian is just a function of position and momentum, whereas in GR the Lagrangian is a function of space and time. That is, the Lagrangian in the particle case is just a function of position and momentum in space and time, whereas in general the Lagrangian in GR is a function of space, time, and momentum.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

So in the familiar case of non-relativistic particle Lagrangians/actions, we know the equations of motions are given by [tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\mathrm d }{\mathrm dt} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \dot x^i} \right)[/tex]

In the familiar case of relativistic field theory Lagrangians/actions, we have
[tex]\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta \phi} = \partial_\mu \left( \frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta ( \partial_\mu \phi )} \right)[/tex]

However, it seems that if we now choose a time-splitting, like for example in ADM where the essence is to rewrite [itex]S = \int \mathrm d^4 x \; \mathcal L(g_{\mu \nu}, \partial_\rho g_{\mu \nu})[/itex] as [itex]\boxed{ S = \int \mathrm d t \; \mathrm d^3 x \; \mathcal L(g_{i j}, \partial_k g_{i j}, \dot g_{ij}, N, N^i)}[/itex]

In this case it seems the equation of motion is given by
[tex]\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta g_{ij}} = \frac{\mathrm d }{\mathrm dt} \left( \frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta ( \dot g_{ij} )} \right)[/tex]

This seems a bit weird. Is it obvious the latter two equations of motions are compatible?

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, I might be completely wrong about that last equation of motion. I suppose that would resolve my confusion. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm my last equation of motion? Thanks!

The equations of motion do not change just because you rewrite the integral. The action is still a four-dimensional integral and the action is what you extremise.

I find it more straightforward to write the equations of motion as

$$\frac{\delta S}{\delta \varphi} = 0$$
for any field ##\varphi##. The variation operator ##\delta## behaves very much like a differentiation operator, e.g.

$$\delta (A_\mu A^\mu) = \delta (g^{\mu\nu} A_\mu A_\nu) = A_\mu A_\nu \, \delta g^{\mu\nu} + 2 g^{\mu\nu} A_\mu \, \delta A_\nu.$$
If your action has derivatives in it (as it must to give dynamical equations of motion), then you will have to integrate by parts to move derivatives off of ##\delta## terms and onto the usual fields:

$$\delta (\partial_\mu \varphi \partial^\mu \varphi) = 2 \partial_\mu \varphi \, \delta (\partial^\mu \varphi) \overset{\text{i.b.p.}}{\longrightarrow} - 2 \partial^\mu \partial_\mu \varphi \, \delta \varphi.$$
In such cases, strictly speaking you must take into account boundary terms in your action. Usually the boundary is at infinity and you assume sufficiently fast fall-off of your fields that the boundary terms are zero. But if you do anything that violates these assumptions, take care.

Likes PWiz and vanhees71
You should view the particle case as a 1-dimensional field theory, whereas GR is in general a D-dim. field theory.

Related to What Happens to Euler-Lagrange in Field Theories (ADM)?

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation in the context of field theories?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of a system in terms of its energy and forces. In field theories, it is used to calculate the equations of motion for a field, which is a physical quantity that varies continuously in space and time.

How does the Euler-Lagrange equation change in field theories compared to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the Euler-Lagrange equation is a second-order differential equation. However, in field theories, it becomes a partial differential equation due to the continuous nature of fields. This means that it takes into account the variations of the field in both space and time.

What is the significance of ADM in the context of field theories?

ADM stands for Arnowitt-Deser-Misner, the names of the three scientists who developed the theory of general relativity using the Hamiltonian formalism. In field theories, the ADM formalism is used to split the equations of motion into two sets: the evolution equations and the constraint equations. This allows for a more manageable and systematic approach to solving the equations.

Why is the Euler-Lagrange equation important in the study of field theories?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool for understanding the behavior of fields in the context of field theories. It allows scientists to calculate the equations of motion for a field, which in turn can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the system in question. It also provides a way to quantitatively analyze the energy and forces within the system.

What are some applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation in field theories?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has numerous applications in the study of field theories, including classical mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of systems ranging from simple harmonic oscillators to complex phenomena such as black holes. It is also a crucial tool in the development of new theories and models in the field of physics.