Diving board with two supports and torque due to diver

In summary, the problem involves a uniform diving board supported at two points, one located 3.4 m from the end of the board and the other at 4.6 m from the end. A diver of mass 64 kg stands at the end of the board over the water. Using two different torque equations about different rotation axes, the forces acting on the board were determined to be 2.17 kN downwards for the left support and 3.31 kN upwards for the right support.
D4b34r5

Homework Statement

A uniform diving board, of length 5.0 m and mass 53 kg, is supported at two points; one support is located 3.4 m from the end of the board and the second is at 4.6 m from the end (see the figure below). What are the forces acting on the board due to the two supports when a diver of mass 64 kg stands at the end of the board over the water? Assume that these forces are vertical. [Hint: In this problem, consider using two different torque equations about different rotation axes. This may help you determine the directions of the two forces.]

http://www.webassign.net/grr/chapter-08/fig-019.gif

Homework Equations

formula derived from image and question

The Attempt at a Solution

N1 is the left support and N2 is the left support.
(sigma)(Torque)= N1-N2-We-Wp then since the right support = o since it is the axis of rotation I solve accordingly for the left support force :

1.2N1=2.1We+4.6Wp
N1=(2.1(53)(9.8)+4.6(64)(9.8))/1.2
N1= 3313.21N or 3.313kN

I have tried taking the left support to be the axis of rotation and solved accordingly. I always end up with the answer that is correct for the other support(I have the answers from webassign but I never understood it the first time through and I am reviewing for a test) The answer ends up being 2.17 kN for the left support downwards and 3.31kN for the right support upwards. What am I doing wrong and why do I get the answer for the other support? Is it just coincidence? After I find the correct force for the one I know I can just take the summation of the forces and subtract to get the force acting on the other support.

Physics news on Phys.org
D4b34r5 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform diving board, of length 5.0 m and mass 53 kg, is supported at two points; one support is located 3.4 m from the end of the board and the second is at 4.6 m from the end (see the figure below). What are the forces acting on the board due to the two supports when a diver of mass 64 kg stands at the end of the board over the water? Assume that these forces are vertical. [Hint: In this problem, consider using two different torque equations about different rotation axes. This may help you determine the directions of the two forces.]

http://www.webassign.net/grr/chapter-08/fig-019.gif

Homework Equations

formula derived from image and question

The Attempt at a Solution

N1 is the left support and N2 is the left support.
(sigma)(Torque)= N1-N2-We-Wp then since the right support = o since it is the axis of rotation I solve accordingly for the left support force :

1.2N1=2.1We+4.6Wp
N1=(2.1(53)(9.8)+4.6(64)(9.8))/1.2
N1= 3313.21N or 3.313kN

I have tried taking the left support to be the axis of rotation and solved accordingly. I always end up with the answer that is correct for the other support(I have the answers from webassign but I never understood it the first time through and I am reviewing for a test) The answer ends up being 2.17 kN for the left support downwards and 3.31kN for the right support upwards. What am I doing wrong and why do I get the answer for the other support? Is it just coincidence? After I find the correct force for the one I know I can just take the summation of the forces and subtract to get the force acting on the other support.

Use the left support (the one farthest away from the diver) as the axis of rotation with torques in the clockwise direction due to the weight of the diver and the weight of the board's center of mass. Then, the counter-clockwise torque will be the right support, equal and opposite in magnitude of the sum of the CW torques. Then, change your axis of rotation to the right support, with a CCW torque due to the left support and the same CW torques.

Awesome. Thanks. I will just have to be more careful when I set up the force diagrams I guess. After following the directions you gave I got the right answer no problem.

Related to Diving board with two supports and torque due to diver

1. What is the purpose of having two supports on a diving board?

The two supports on a diving board are necessary for stability and to evenly distribute the weight of the diver. Without two supports, the diving board may bend or break, causing potential injury to the diver.

2. How does torque affect a diving board with two supports?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. In the case of a diving board with two supports, the torque created by the weight of the diver is counteracted by the torque created by the supports. This balance of torque ensures that the diving board remains stable and does not tip or break.

3. How does the weight of the diver impact the torque on a diving board with two supports?

The weight of the diver directly affects the torque on a diving board with two supports. The heavier the diver, the greater the torque exerted on the diving board. This is why it is important for divers to follow weight restrictions and for diving boards to have weight limits.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a diving board with two supports?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a diving board with two supports. Divers should always follow weight restrictions and should never exceed the weight limit of the diving board. It is also important to properly secure the diving board to the supports and regularly check for any signs of wear or damage.

5. How can the torque on a diving board with two supports be calculated?

The torque on a diving board with two supports can be calculated using the formula T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance of the force from the point of rotation (in this case, the supports). The weight of the diver and their distance from the supports must be taken into account when calculating the torque.