Diving airplane as a projectile

In summary, you calculate the time of flight of a projectile as 10 seconds, but when you convert to meters, you get the incorrect value of -391.6 meters. You also calculate the gravity force as negligible, but when you convert to meters, you get the incorrect value of -390.2 meters. Finally, you get the sign error due to incorrect reporting of the downward displacement rather than the upward launch altitude.
Here is another method that you might find more to your liking.
1. Draw your vector ##\vec A## in a standard Cartesian axes frame.
2. Define angle ##\theta## starting from the positive x-axis to your vector counterclockwise. Note that this angle can be between 0° and 360°.
3. Figure out what ##\theta## is for your particular situation. For example, if your given angle is 30° below the positive x-axis in quadrant IV, then ##\theta = 330^{\circ}##; if your given angle is 30° to the left of the positive y-axis in quadrant II, then ##\theta = 120^{\circ}##; if your given angle is 40° to the left of the negative y-axis in quadrant III, then ##\theta = 200^{\circ}##, and so on.
4. With this (unit circle) convention, you can always write the components as ##A_x=A\cos\theta## and ##A_y=A\sin\theta## which takes care of everything automatically. You don't have to figure out where the sine or cosine go or where to put negative signs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
gative y-axis in quadrant III, then θ=200∘, and so on.
You mean 230. I get it. Thanks @jbriggs444 @kuruman . I will get back to you if I get further doubts. I got to check it.

Likes kuruman
rudransh verma said:
You mean 230. I get it. Thanks @jbriggs444 @kuruman . I will get back to you if I get further doubts. I got to check it.
Yes, I meant 230°.

kuruman said:
With this (unit circle) convention, you can always write the components as Ax=Acos⁡θ and everything is taken care of automatically. You don't have to figure out where the sine or cosine go or where to put negative signs.
I was right. I have a Big doubt. What right triangle is this in which we take cos of angle? Cos of obtuse angle(330 or 230)?

And what is this unit circle convention?

rudransh verma said:
I was right. I have a Big doubt. What right triangle is this in which we take cos of angle? Cos of obtuse angle(330 or 230)?

And what is this unit circle convention?
You are right with your "Big" doubt: there is no such thing as a right triangle in which one of the angles is greater than 90°. However, if you use the unit circle convention, there is no right triangle to use for finding the components, just the equation $$\vec A=A\cos\theta~\hat i+A\sin\theta~\hat j$$ with angle ##\theta## as defined in post #36 and in the video linked below.

Study this video carefully, especially the last 2½ minutes.

Edit: The equation in this post was edited to its current form. Initially, it was incorrectly written as ##\vec A=A_x\cos\theta~\hat i+A_y\sin\theta~\hat j.##

Last edited:
kuruman said:
You are right with your "Big" doubt: there is no such thing as a right triangle in which one of the angles is greater than 90°. However, if you use the unit circle convention, there is no right triangle to use for finding the components, just the equation $$\vec A=A_x\cos\theta~\hat i+A_y\sin\theta~\hat j$$ with angle ##\theta## as defined in post #36 and in the video linked below.

Study this video carefully, especially the last 2½ minutes.
I watched the video and I again have a doubt. How can you be so sure that the new definition of trig function will hold for all the quadrants. Is it always true that the cos of angle is x coordinate and sin of angle is y coordinate even with 90 and above angles? Can you prove for bigger angles?
Also in post 36 there is A instead of 1. So does it follow the unit circle convention? Its A circle convention. I guess now there is a bigger circle with radius A but everything works the same.

rudransh verma said:
Is it always true that the cos of angle is x coordinate and sin of angle is y coordinate even with 90 and above angles? Can you prove for bigger angles?
It works for all angles from minus infinity to plus infinity.

The sine and cosine functions are periodic. ##\sin ( x + 360^\circ) = \sin x = \sin ( x - 360^\circ)##. This makes sense if you think about it. It does not matter how many times the minute hand circles the clock face. Its y coordinate at 3 o'clock is always the same.

rudransh verma said:
Also in post 36 there is A instead of 1. So does it follow the unit circle convention? Its A circle convention. I guess now there is a bigger circle with radius A but everything works the same.
You can always write any vector ##\vec A## as the magnitude of the vector ##A## times a unit vector ##\hat a## in its direction, namely ##\vec A=A~\hat a##. Now the unit circle convention says that I can always write $$\hat a=\cos\theta~\hat i+\sin\theta~\hat j$$ Put that in the first equation to get $$\vec A= A(\cos\theta~\hat i+\sin\theta~\hat j).$$ If you identify ##A_x \equiv A\cos\theta## and ##A_y \equiv A\sin\theta##, you get $$\vec A=A_x~\hat i+A_y~\hat j.$$

jbriggs444 said:
The sine and cosine functions are periodic. ##\sin ( x + 360^\circ) = \sin x = \sin ( x - 360^\circ)##. This makes sense if you think about it. It does not matter how many times the minute hand circles the clock face. Its y coordinate at 3 o'clock is always the same.
Obvious. How about we talk about ##\theta < 360^\circ##. ##120^\circ, 135^\circ, 150^\circ##. ##\sin## value goes from 0 to +1 in 1st and then back to 0 in 2nd quadrant. ##\sin(90+ \theta)= \cos\theta## So for every ##0<\theta<90## we have ##\cos\theta##. That said sin of bigger angles from 90 to 180 repeats it’s value as cos. ##\sin## forms Mirror images in unit circle. Eg ##\sin 120^\circ= \sin 60^\circ= \cos 30^\circ##
##\sin 135^\circ= \sin 45^\circ= \cos 45^\circ##

Perhaps it might be useful for you to memorize a couple of trigonometric identities for sums of angles. They are handy for translating sines and cosines with arguments outside the first quadrant to sines and cosines with arguments in the first quadrant. These are:$$\begin{align} & \sin(a \pm b)= \sin a \cos b \pm \cos a \sin b \nonumber \\& \cos(a \pm b)=\cos a\cos b \mp \sin a\sin b \nonumber \end{align}$$The idea is to write the given angle as the sum of two parts, one which is a multiple of ##90^{\circ}## and one which is in the 1st quadrant. For example, given ##\theta=235^{\circ}##, you write, ##235^{\circ}=180^{\circ}+55^{\circ}.##Then $$\begin{align}\sin(235^{\circ}) & =\sin(180^{\circ}+55^{\circ}) \nonumber \\ & = \sin(180^{\circ})\cos(55^{\circ}) +\cos(180^{\circ})\sin(55^{\circ}) \nonumber \\ & =0\times \cos(55^{\circ})+(-1)\times \sin(55^{\circ}) \nonumber \\ & =-\sin(55^{\circ}).\nonumber\end{align}$$My calculator says ##\sin(235^{\circ})=-0.8191## and ##\sin(55^{\circ})=0.8191.## Had I started with ##\sin(270^{\circ}-35^{\circ})## instead, I would have ended up with ##-\cos(35^{\circ})## which is also ##-0.8191.## Do you see how it works?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
My calculator says sin⁡(235∘)=−0.8191 and sin⁡(55∘)=0.8191. Had I started with sin⁡(270∘−35∘) instead, I would have ended up with −cos⁡(35∘) which is also −0.8191. Do you see how it works?
So basically all the trigonometric functions with arguments not in first quadrant are trig functions with arguments in first quadrant ?

I guess that’s why we are made to memorise values of all the trig functions from ##0^\circ## to ##90^\circ##.

rudransh verma said:
So basically all the trigonometric functions with arguments not in first quadrant are trig functions with arguments in first quadrant ?
More precisely, all trig functions with arguments outside the first quadrant can be mapped into trig functions with arguments in the first quadrant.

• Informative
Likes rudransh verma