Dividing by Zero: What's the Mistake?

• Thread starter Hernaner28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical mistake made by assuming that a=b and therefore a^2=ab in the first line. The mistake is dividing by zero, which is not defined in mathematics. This mistake is demonstrated by attempting to solve the quadratic x^2=x. The correct approach would be to consider the case where x=0. The conversation concludes with the advice to not try this at home.
Hernaner28
What's the mistake here? hehe

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/64102_341098562596296_100000884664248_973353_615500462_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
##2(a^2-ab) = 1(a^2 - ab)##
Therefore either ##2 = 1## or ##a^2 - ab = 0##
And ##a^2 -ab## is equal to 0, of course.

Say you wanted to solve the quadratic [itex]x^2=x[/itex]. You wouldn't begin by dividing through by x because that assumes [itex]x\neq 0[/itex]. If x=0 then you've just lost that solution.

In short, dividing by zero is bad.

Hmm I see... it was stupid from me not realising that.. lol :D

Thanks!

Don't try this at home...

spikedmath-089-dont-try-this-at-home.png

In the first line, you say a=b
and therefore a^2=ab. a^2-ab=0.
You are dividing by zero even though it's not defined in mathematics. That's the mistake... :D

Related to Dividing by Zero: What's the Mistake?

1. What is the mistake in this experiment?

The mistake in this experiment could be anything that deviates from the expected or desired outcome. It could be a miscalculation, an error in the experimental procedure, or a faulty measurement. Identifying and rectifying mistakes is an essential part of the scientific process.

2. How do you determine what the mistake is?

Determining the mistake in an experiment requires careful analysis and critical thinking. Scientists often start by examining the data and comparing it to their hypothesis. They may also repeat the experiment to see if the results are consistent. Collaborating with other scientists and seeking outside opinions can also help identify the mistake.

3. Can mistakes be beneficial in science?

Yes, mistakes can be beneficial in science. They can lead to unexpected discoveries or new insights that may not have been possible with a perfect experiment. Mistakes also allow scientists to learn from their errors and improve their methods for future experiments.

4. What should I do if I make a mistake in my experiment?

If you make a mistake in your experiment, the first step is to acknowledge it and not try to cover it up. Next, you should carefully review your data and procedures to try and identify the error. If you are unable to determine the mistake, seeking advice from other scientists can be helpful. It's essential to document the mistake and any changes made to the experimental procedure to ensure the validity of the results.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes in my experiments?

To avoid making mistakes in your experiments, it's crucial to have a well-designed experimental procedure and to carefully follow it. Double-checking measurements and calculations can also help prevent mistakes. It's also essential to have a good understanding of the scientific principles involved in your experiment and to seek guidance from experienced scientists when needed.