Divergence Test: Evaluating I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$

In summary, we are asked to evaluate the integral $I_{17}=\int_{0}^{\infty}36x^8 e^{-x^9}\, dx$ or determine if it diverges. By using the substitution $u=x^9$, we can rewrite the integral as $I_{17}=4\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(1-e^{-t}\right)$. This limit exists, indicating that the integral converges. Therefore, the recommended test to use for this integral is the limit comparison test.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{206.8.8.17}$
$\textsf{Evaluate the following integral,
or stat that it diverges.}\\$
\begin{align*}
\displaystyle
&& I_{17}&
=\int_{0}^{\infty}36x^8 e^{-x^9}\, dx& &(1)&\\
&& &=36\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x^8}{e^{x^9}}\, dx & &(2)&\\
\end{align*}
$\textit{first what be the recommended divergence test to use on this?}$
☕

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that you have to use a test in order to do the problem as stated but you can integrate it by inspection.

-Dan

well it goes to 4 but we are supposed to test it for divergence first?
I was going to try the ratio test?

As it is am improper integral, I would write it like this

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_0^t e^{-x^9}9x^8\,dx\right)\)

Now, let:

\(\displaystyle u=x^9\implies du=9x^8\,dx\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_0^t e^{-u}\,du\right)\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(-\left[e^{-u}\right]_0^t\right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=4\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(1-e^{-t}\right)\)

The limit exists, and so the integral converges:

\(\displaystyle I=4(1)=4\)

so don't factor out 36 but use the factor 9 of it get a derivative

cool tool😎

I suppose you could look at the integrand in an integral like this and if it does not go to zero as the dummy variable of integration grows without bound, then you would know it diverges, but if it does go to zero, you still don't know if it converges or not.

Related to Divergence Test: Evaluating I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$

1. What is the Divergence Test?

The Divergence Test is a mathematical method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series.

2. How is the Divergence Test used to evaluate I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$?

The Divergence Test involves evaluating the limit of the terms in a series as the number of terms approaches infinity. In the case of I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$, this would involve finding the limit of the terms in the series I$_{17}$ as n (the number of terms) approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of evaluating I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$?

I$_{17}$ at $\tiny{206.8.8.17}$ is a specific series that can be used to test the convergence or divergence of other series. By evaluating this series, we can determine the convergence or divergence of other similar series.

4. Can the Divergence Test be used for all infinite series?

No, the Divergence Test can only be used for certain types of infinite series. It is most commonly used for series that involve factorials or powers of n.

5. Are there other methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series?

Yes, there are several other tests and methods for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, such as the Integral Test, Ratio Test, and Comparison Test. Each method is useful for different types of series and has its own set of conditions for convergence or divergence.