Divergence of tensor times vector

In summary, the Reynolds Transport Theorem states that the time derivative of an integral over a volume is equal to the integral of the partial derivative of the integrand with respect to time and the divergence of the product of the integrand and the velocity vector. To apply it to the expression involving a cross product, the tensor F is defined as the product of the cross product and the density and velocity vectors. The resulting divergence can be calculated using the vector identity \nabla \cdot (\vec A \times \vec B) = \vec B \cdot \nabla \times \vec A- \vec A \cdot \nabla \times \vec B.
Runner 1
(My question is simpler than it looks at first glance.)

Here is Reynolds Transport Theorem:

$$\frac{D}{Dt}\int \limits_{V(t)} \mathbf{F}(\vec{x}, t)\ dV = \int \limits_{V(t)} \left[ \frac{\partial \mathbf{F}}{\partial t} + \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\mathbf{F} \vec{u}) \right] \ dV$$

where boldface means tensor and over-arrow means vector. I am trying to apply this to the expression:

$$\frac{D}{Dt} \int \limits_{V(t)} (\vec{x} \times \rho \vec{u}) \ dV$$

where x is the cross product. So

$$\mathbf{F}(\vec{x}, t) = \epsilon_{ijk} x_{j} (\rho u)_{k} = \rho \epsilon_{ijk} x_{j} u_{k}$$

and

$$\mathbf{F} \vec{u} = \rho \epsilon_{ijk} x_{j} u_{k} u_{l}$$

Now my problem occurs why I try to figure out what

$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\mathbf{F} \vec{u})$$

is. Should it be

$$\frac{\partial(\rho \epsilon_{ijk} x_{j} u_{k} u_{l})}{\partial x_{i}}$$ or $$\frac{\partial(\rho \epsilon_{ijk} x_{j} u_{k} u_{l})}{\partial x_{l}}$$?

I am confused as to which index to take the derivative with. It's easy when you are taking the divergence of a vector; it's just the same index used in the vector. But when applied to a tensor, there's two indices (or more). So which is it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, as I'm not familiar with the notation ##\vec\nabla\cdot(\mathbf F \vec u)##. The only thought I have is that if your book proves the theorem, you should be able to figure out what they mean by examining the proof. If it's a good book, the notation should also be explained earlier.

A simple analysis of tensorial rank means that [itex] \nabla\cdot(\bf{F}\vec{u}) [/itex] means that the product of F and u must be free, that is a pure tensor product without contraction. That way the divergence of the resulting tensor has the same tensor rank as the time derivative of the tensor itself.

From the wikipedia version
it looks like what you want is
[tex] \frac{D}{Dt} \int_V f^i dV = \int_V \left[ \frac{\partial f^i}{\partial t}
+ \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}\left( v^j f^i \right)
\right] dV. [/tex]

Ah, that works well. Thanks!

In your case the tensor F is really a vector.

A handy vector identity is:

[itex]\nabla \cdot \vec A \vec B = \vec B\nabla \cdot \vec A+ \vec A \cdot \nabla \vec B[/itex]

Another identity that you might find useful is:

[itex]\nabla \cdot \left(\vec A \times \vec B \right)= \vec B \cdot \nabla \times \vec A- \vec A \cdot \nabla \times \vec B[/itex]

Related to Divergence of tensor times vector

1. What is the definition of divergence of tensor times vector?

The divergence of a tensor times vector is a mathematical operation that describes the rate at which a vector field diverges or converges at a specific point. It is represented by the dot product of the gradient of the tensor and the vector field.

2. How is divergence of tensor times vector different from traditional divergence?

The traditional divergence is a scalar value that describes the expansion or contraction of a vector field at a given point. The divergence of tensor times vector, on the other hand, is a tensor quantity that describes the directional change of the vector field at a specific point.

3. What are some real-world applications of divergence of tensor times vector?

The divergence of tensor times vector is commonly used in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and continuum mechanics. It is used to analyze the flow of fluids, electric and magnetic fields, and deformation of materials.

4. How is the divergence of tensor times vector calculated?

The divergence of tensor times vector is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the tensor and the vector field. The gradient of the tensor is calculated using partial derivatives, while the vector field is represented by its components in each direction.

5. What is the physical interpretation of divergence of tensor times vector?

The physical interpretation of divergence of tensor times vector is the rate of change of the vector field in the direction of the gradient of the tensor. It can be thought of as the amount of flux leaving or entering a point in the vector field.