Divergence of Spherical Coordinates

In summary, divergence in spherical coordinates is a measure of how a vector field expands or converges at a specific point. It is calculated using a formula that takes into account the components of the vector field in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions. A positive or negative divergence value indicates the direction of flow, with a zero value indicating no net flow. Divergence is related to the rate of change of the vector field per unit volume and has applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and meteorology. It can also be used to solve problems involving spherical symmetry in planetary or celestial motion.
zoso335

Homework Statement

Compute the divergence of v = (1/(r^2)) r where r = sin(u)cos(v)i + sin(u)sin(v)j + cos(u)k, r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only think to express r as a function of x,y,z and do it. I know there's a simpler way though, but it's driving me crazy. I can't find anywhere how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up what the form of the divergence operator is in spherical coordinates.

Related to Divergence of Spherical Coordinates

1. What is the concept of divergence in spherical coordinates?

Divergence is a measure of how a vector field spreads out or converges at a particular point. In spherical coordinates, it is a measure of how much the vector field is expanding or converging in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions.

2. How is divergence calculated in spherical coordinates?

The formula for calculating divergence in spherical coordinates is:
∇ ⋅ V = 1/r² * ∂(r²Vr)/∂r + 1/(r sinθ) * ∂(sinθVθ)/∂θ + 1/(r sinθ) * ∂Vφ/∂φ
where Vr, Vθ, and Vφ are the components of the vector field in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions respectively.

3. What does a positive or negative divergence value indicate in spherical coordinates?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vector field is spreading out or diverging at a particular point, while a negative divergence value indicates that the vector field is converging at that point. A zero divergence value indicates that there is no net flow of the vector field at that point.

4. How is divergence related to the rate of change of a vector field in spherical coordinates?

Divergence can be interpreted as the rate of change of a vector field per unit volume. It represents the net flow of the vector field through a small volume surrounding a point in space. A higher divergence value means a higher rate of change and a stronger flow of the vector field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding divergence in spherical coordinates?

Understanding divergence in spherical coordinates is important in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and meteorology. It can be used to analyze the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and atmospheric conditions. It is also useful in solving problems involving spherical symmetry, such as in planetary or celestial motion.