Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts

In summary: A} \times \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) - \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})and the divergence theorem to reduce the problem to showing a surface integral at infinity is zero. do you know cartesian tensors? if so, the problem is trivial.
Chingon

Homework Statement

∫Bdot[∇×A]dV=∫Adot[∇×B]dV

Prove this by integration by parts. A(r) and B(r) vanish at infinity.

Homework Equations

I'm getting stuck while trying to integrate by parts - I end up with partial derivatives and dV, which is dxdydz?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can break things down to Cartesian components, but integrating by parts is where I get stuck.

Essentially, I'm simplifying by stating the identity that
BdotCurlA - AdotCurlB = Div(A×B) = 0 in this case (Subtract right hand side from left and combine under one ∫dV)

The components look like this:
∂x(AyBz−AzBy)=(∂xAy)Bz+Ay(∂xBz)−(∂xAz)By−Az(∂xBy)
plus the y,z terms as well.

How would one integrate ∫[(∂xAy)Bz]dV by parts? I have Ay and Bz which are potentially functions of x,y,z and a partial wrt x, and dxdydz...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know cartesian tensors ? If so, the problem is trivial.

[tex] \iiint A_k \epsilon_{klm} \partial_{l}B_{m} dV = ... [/tex]

Integrations by parts are equivalent to product rules.
use
[tex]\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) - \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})[/tex]
and the divergence theorem to reduces the problem to showing a surface integral at infinity is zero.

dextercioby said:
Do you know cartesian tensors ? If so, the problem is trivial.

[tex] \iiint A_k \epsilon_{klm} \partial_{l}B_{m} dV = ... [/tex]

No, we haven't studied those so I don't believe that's a path I can take.

lurflurf said:
Integrations by parts are equivalent to product rules.
use
[tex]\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) - \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})[/tex]
and the divergence theorem to reduces the problem to showing a surface integral at infinity is zero.

I have used that identity to reduce the problem to ∫Div(A×B)=0

This reduces to:
∫[∂xAy*Bz-∂xAz*By+∂yAz*By-∂yAx*BZ+∂ZAx*By-∂zAy*Bx]dV

So I guess I'm wondering how to handle the partial derivatives inside the integrand. Take the first term for example:
∫∂/∂x(AyBz)dxdydz

Do the ∂x and dx cancel out?

No, no, no. Do you know about the Gauß-Ostrogradskii theorem ? It turns a volume integral into a surface integral.

Last edited:
Yes, but I was focused on the brute force of integration by parts method as opposed to using this theorem. I think I'm just going to go the easy route and use this method - hopefully I won't lose too many points!

You are doing vector integrals, you should use the vectors not their components, and you can use the Gauß-Ostrogradskii theorem in case of vectors.

<In vector calculus, the divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem or Ostrogradsky's theorem,[1] is a result that relates the flow (that is, flux) of a vector field through a surface to the behavior of the vector field inside the surface.>

No reason to lose points.

Related to Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts

What is the concept of "Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts"?

The divergence of a curl is a mathematical operation used to describe the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space. It involves taking the dot product of the gradient operator with the curl of a vector field. Integrating this result by parts can help solve certain types of vector calculus problems.

What are some real-world applications of "Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts"?

This concept has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and stress analysis. For example, the divergence of a curl is used to describe the flow of a fluid around a rotating object, and integrating by parts can help determine the forces acting on the object.

How is "Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts" related to other vector calculus operations?

The divergence of a curl is related to the gradient, divergence, and curl operations. In fact, the divergence of a curl can be written as the dot product of the gradient with the curl, making use of the product rule. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of vector fields.

What are the key steps in solving a problem using "Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts"?

The first step is to calculate the curl of the vector field. Then, take the dot product of the gradient operator with this result to find the divergence of the curl. Next, integrate this result by parts, using the appropriate boundary conditions. Finally, simplify the expression and solve for the desired variable.

Are there any limitations or special cases to consider when using "Divergence of a Curl - Then Integrate By Parts"?

Yes, this concept may not be applicable to all vector calculus problems. It is most useful for solving problems with certain types of boundary conditions, such as when the vector field is zero at the boundaries. It is also important to check for any simplifications or special cases that may arise when using this method.