Distinct Cyclic Subgroups of D6 with Proper Subgroup Example

In summary: So, you'd have to find a rotation that is not in the subgroup generated by Si and Si*R3.In summary, there are 4 distinct cyclic subgroups of D6, each generated by a single element. These are (I), (R1)=(R5), (R2)= (R4), and (R3). The reflections, while also generated by a single element, do not form cyclic subgroups since a rotation times a reflection generates a reflection. The non-cyclic subgroup could potentially be generated by two elements, such as Si and Si*R3, and would need to include a rotation that is not in the subgroup generated by these two elements.
mariab89

Homework Statement

(a) How many distinct cyclic subgroups of D6 are there? Write them all down explicitly. (Here, D6 is the dihedral group of order 12, i.e. it is the group of symmetries of the regular hexagon.)

(b) Exhibit a proper subgroup of D6 which is not cyclic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i know that..

D6 = {I, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6} where, I is the identity, R1-R5 are rotations (60, 120, 180, 240, 300 degrees respectively) and S1-S6 are the 6 reflections across the 6 different reflective axes of the hexagon.

I'm not sure where to go from here, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know that a cyclic subgroup is generated by a single element. You could figure out which subgroup each element generates.

So, then would I itself be a subgroup?
also, {I, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5} and {I, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6}?

I isn't a subgroup but {I} is.

{I, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5} is a cyclic subgroup. What is it's generator? Does it have any subgroups? Are you sure that {I, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6} is a subgroup? What is S1*S2?

A useful notation is (x) for the subgroup generated by x. So what is (R2)? What is (S5)?

What you will end up with is something like this.

(R1) = (R5) = {I, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6}
(R2) = (R4) = ?
(S1) = ?

Does that make sense?

ohh ok

so then D6 has 4 distinct cyclic subgroups...
(I) - generator is the identity
(R1)=(R5)= {I, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5} - generator is R1 or R5
(R2)= (R4) = {I, R2, R4} - generator is R2 or R4
(R3) = {I, R3}

I'm just wondering what about the reflections?

would they be cyclic subgroups as well?.. for example..
(S1) = {I, S1}
(S2) = {I, S2} etc...

If it's generated by a single element, then it's cyclic. Any ideas on the non-cyclic subgroup?

Well.. I was thinking maybe the group of reflections. But then that wouldn't form a group since (reflection * reflection = rotation)

any hints?

A rotation times a reflection generates a reflection as well, correct?

If you took Si as one generator and Si*R3 as another, I bet you'd get a subgroup with two generators.

Related to Distinct Cyclic Subgroups of D6 with Proper Subgroup Example

What are groups and symmetries?

Groups and symmetries are mathematical concepts that describe the ways in which objects can be transformed or manipulated while still maintaining their original form.

How do groups and symmetries apply to real-world phenomena?

Groups and symmetries have applications in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology, where they can be used to describe the underlying structure and behaviors of natural systems.

What are the basic properties of a group?

A group is a set of elements that can be combined or manipulated using a defined operation, such as addition or multiplication. It must also have an identity element, an inverse element for each element, and must be associative and closed under the operation.

What is the significance of symmetry in mathematics?

Symmetry is a fundamental concept in mathematics that helps us understand and describe patterns and relationships between objects. It also plays a crucial role in geometry, algebra, and other branches of mathematics.

What are some examples of symmetries in everyday life?

Symmetries can be found in many objects and phenomena around us, such as snowflakes, flowers, and even our own bodies. They can also be seen in art, architecture, and music.