Distance traveled by the object in n-th second

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of distance traveled in a specific time interval and questions the purpose of the equation used to calculate it. The speaker expresses confusion and asks for clarification.
niett
Homework Statement
I dont understand what this mean lol
Relevant Equations
S = S_o + v_o + \frac{1}{2}at^2
Screenshot_1.png

Hi! I don't understand why is made the difference between the n second and the (n - 1) second. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
niett said:
Homework Statement:: I don't understand what this mean lol
Relevant Equations:: S = S_o + v_o + \frac{1}{2}at^2

View attachment 281778
Hi! I don't understand why is made the difference between the n second and the (n - 1) second. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
The distance traveled in the nth second is the distance traveled in the first n seconds minus the distance traveled in the first n-1 seconds.
But why anyone would bother to develop such an equation (to be remembered?) is beyond me, especially since it breaks down if using different units for time.

Related to Distance traveled by the object in n-th second

1. How is the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second calculated?

The distance traveled by an object in the n-th second is calculated by using the formula d = ut + (1/2)at^2, where d is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, t is the time in seconds, and a is the acceleration.

2. Can the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second be negative?

Yes, the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. In this case, the distance is measured as a negative value.

3. How does the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second change with time?

The distance traveled by an object in the n-th second increases with time if the object is accelerating. If the object is moving at a constant velocity, the distance traveled remains the same for each second.

4. Is the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second affected by air resistance?

Yes, the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second can be affected by air resistance, especially at high speeds. Air resistance can slow down the object and decrease the distance it travels in each second.

5. How is the distance traveled by an object in the n-th second different from the total distance traveled?

The distance traveled by an object in the n-th second is the distance traveled during a specific time interval, while the total distance traveled is the sum of all the distances traveled during the entire journey. The total distance traveled can be calculated by adding the distance traveled in each second, while the distance traveled in the n-th second is calculated using the specific formula mentioned in the first question.