Distance from North to South poles

• Thread starter SiTuCrois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
NESW.In summary, the distance from the North to South poles of the Earth is not equal to the distance from the West to East poles. The Earth is oblate due to its rotation, making it larger around its equator than at its poles. This is due to centrifugal force during its molten state. Additionally, time goes slower around the equator. The website PF is always prepared and ready to answer any questions. The acronym NEWS is a cooler way to remember the cardinal directions.
SiTuCrois
Is the distance from North to South poles of the Earth equal that from West to East poles ?:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, SiTuCrois.
There are no 'east' or 'west' poles. If there were, however, the distance between them would be greater than the distance between 'north' and 'south'. The Earth is oblate, rather than spherical, due to its rotation. It's a lot bigger around side-to-side than it is up-and-down.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, SiTuCrois.
There are no 'east' or 'west' poles. If there were, however, the distance between them would be greater than the distance between 'north' and 'south'. The Earth is oblate, rather than spherical, due to its rotation. It's a lot bigger around side-to-side than it is up-and-down.
Thank you, I'm really sorry about the poles :blushing:

But why does rotation make its side-to-side bigger ?

SiTuCrois said:
Thank you, I'm really sorry about the poles :blushing:

But why does rotation make its side-to-side bigger ?

This is just a guess, but I think when the planets were molten fluid masses, they were spinning at great angular velocities, and because of that (centrifugal force), the fluid tried to escape, and this attempt would have been most successful where the force was maximum (at the equator as the force equation is [tex]mw^2r[/tex] and the radius is maximum there), so most of that fluid bundled there...

Perhaps someone who's better versed in these matters could give us a more accurate explanation?

Last edited:
Sounds right to me.

Time also goes a bit slower around the equator too :smile:

Thanks everyone,

Tomorrow I'll have a geo-course, i don't know the content my professor would teach us, but trust me, I would make real questions.

Be prepared!

We're always prepared. Bring it, dude. :biggrin:

I know how challenging it is for me to :biggrin: do this. because my professor is stricter than me and I am scared to talk to him

PF was born prepared. Seriously, it was squeezed out still clasping it's tiny clipboard.

By the way, NEWS is a much cooler acronym (North East West South)

Related to Distance from North to South poles

What is the distance from the North to South poles?

The distance from the North to South poles, also known as the Earth's polar diameter, is approximately 12,713 kilometers (7,900 miles).

How does the distance from the North to South poles compare to the Earth's equatorial diameter?

The distance from the North to South poles is significantly shorter than the Earth's equatorial diameter, which is approximately 12,756 kilometers (7,926 miles).

What is the significance of the distance from the North to South poles?

The distance from the North to South poles is an important measurement in geography and geodesy, as it helps to determine the Earth's shape and size.

Has the distance from the North to South poles changed over time?

The distance from the North to South poles has not significantly changed over time, but it may vary slightly due to factors such as polar ice melting and tectonic plate movements.

How is the distance from the North to South poles measured?

The distance from the North to South poles is measured using a variety of methods, including satellite imaging, geodetic surveying, and mathematical calculations based on the Earth's curvature.