Distance formula in higher dimensions.

In summary, the distance from point A = (a_1, ..., a_{2008}) \in \Re^{2008} to the origin can be expressed as \sqrt{\frac{1 - \left( \frac{1}{4} \right)^{2008}}{3}} in decimal notation.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Let [tex]A = (a_1, . . . , a_{2008}) \in \Re^{2008}[/tex], where [tex]a_i = \frac{1}{2^{i}}[/tex] for each [tex]i = 1, . . . , 2008[/tex]. Find the distance from the point [tex]A[/tex] to the origin. Please express your answer in the form [tex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}[/tex] where [tex]a, b[/tex] are integers.

Homework Equations

Extended distance formula in [tex]\Re^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using what I knew about the distance from a point to the origin in two and three dimensions, I deduced the distance is

[tex]\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{2008} a_i^2} = \sqrt{\sum_{j=1}^{2008} \frac{1}{2^{2j}}} = \sqrt{\sum_{k=0}^{2007} \frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{4^k}} = \left( \frac{1}{4} \right) \left( \frac{1 - \left( \frac{1}{4} \right)^{2008}}{1 - \frac{1}{4}} \right)[/tex]

where the last equality is achieved through the finite geometric series formula. Now I did simplify that expression so that the numerator and denominator contained products of integers but when a problem normally asks for integers a and b, don't they usually want them in decimal notation? I mean I know that the numerator and denominator will be integers but the expression is too big to multiply out. Thus, I'm not quite sure of my solution to this problem. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
say it in binary!

snipez90 said:
… when a problem normally asks for integers a and b, don't they usually want them in decimal notation?
I mean I know that the numerator and denominator will be integers but the expression is too big to multiply out.

Hi snipez90! :smile:

Normally, yes …

but I think 42008 - 1 is an exception! :biggrin:

hmm … :rolleyes:

if you really want to impess your professor

(thought not necessarily favourably …)

you could write the answer out in full …

in binary! :wink: :biggrin:

Haha well to be honest this isn't my pset. I'm itching for college to begin and thought I would prepare by trying the problem sets of friends who have already begun.

I passed along the hint though, thanks for the confirmation :-D.

Related to Distance formula in higher dimensions.

What is the distance formula in higher dimensions?

The distance formula in higher dimensions is an extension of the Pythagorean theorem. It calculates the distance between two points in a multi-dimensional space, taking into account all dimensions.

How is the distance formula in higher dimensions derived?

The distance formula in higher dimensions is derived using the concept of vector magnitude. By taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences in each dimension, we can find the distance between two points in multi-dimensional space.

Can the distance formula in higher dimensions be used for any number of dimensions?

Yes, the distance formula in higher dimensions can be used for any number of dimensions. It is a general formula that can be applied to spaces with two or more dimensions.

What are some practical applications of the distance formula in higher dimensions?

The distance formula in higher dimensions is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate distances in multi-dimensional coordinate systems, as well as in real-world applications such as analyzing data in computer science and mapping routes in navigation systems.

Are there any limitations to the distance formula in higher dimensions?

The distance formula in higher dimensions is limited by the accuracy of the measurements used to determine the coordinates of the points. Additionally, it may become more complex to visualize and calculate distances in spaces with a large number of dimensions.