Distance between points question

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, when drawing the angle between the two lines, the angle between BP and BC should be drawn as 90 degrees, but it was not in my drawing.
Yankel
Hello

I have two points: B(1,3) and C(2,6). I need to find a point A on the y-axis, from which BC is "seen" at an angle of 90 degrees.

I tried using Pythagoras theorem and got:

\[y^{2}-6y+10=y^{2}-12y+40+10\]

but it doesn't give the correct answer, which is (0,5) or (0,4).

What am I doing wrong here ?

Thank you in advance !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
from which BC is "seen" at an angle of 90 degrees.

Can you make that precise?

Yankel said:
Hello

I have two points: B(1,3) and C(2,6). I need to find a point A on the y-axis, from which BC is "seen" at an angle of 90 degrees.

I tried using Pythagoras theorem and got:

\[y^{2}-6y+10=y^{2}-12y+40+10\]

but it doesn't give the correct answer, which is (0,5) or (0,4).

What am I doing wrong here ?

Thank you in advance !

Here's what I would do:

Let the requested point be $P(0,y)$. Now we require segment $\overline{BP}$ to be normal to segment $\overline{CP}$, and so we require (given the product of the slopes of normal lines is -1):

\(\displaystyle \frac{3-y}{1-0}=\frac{0-2}{6-y}\)

\(\displaystyle (y-3)(y-6)=-2\)

\(\displaystyle y^2-9y+20=0\)

\(\displaystyle (y-4)(y-5)=0\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle y\in\{4,5\}\)

when I draw it, it looks like BP is normal to BC and not CP. This is why my answer is wrong. How could you tell which line is normal to which ?

Yankel said:
when I draw it, it looks like BP is normal to BC and not CP. This is why my answer is wrong. How could you tell which line is normal to which ?

The line segments from our point $P$ on the $y$-axis to the two given points must be normal to each other. :D

While I was drawing, I didn't keep the same scale on the x-axis and y-axis, and this is why in my drawing the angle did not look like 90 degrees. I understand the error now.

Thank you !

Related to Distance between points question

1. What is the distance between two points?

The distance between two points is the length of the straight line connecting them. It is usually measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How do you calculate the distance between two points?

The distance between two points can be calculated using the distance formula, which is: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

3. Can the distance between two points be negative?

No, the distance between two points cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the length of the line connecting the two points.

4. What is the significance of calculating the distance between two points?

Calculating the distance between two points is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to determine the length of a path, the displacement between two points, and the speed of an object.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the distance between two points?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculating the distance between two points. For example, it is used in navigation to determine the distance between two locations, in sports to measure the distance between players or objects, and in construction to determine the length of a building or road.