Distance between points in a triangle

In summary, the problem states that in an equilateral triangle with side length 2, there are five points inside. To show that at least two points are within 1 unit distance from each other, the pigeonhole principle is used by creating four smaller triangles within the original one. The questions asked are 1) for the reasoning behind the maximum distance of 1 unit between two points in a triangle, and 2) what happens if a point falls on the edge of a smaller triangle within the larger one. The answer to the first question is that it can be proven by drawing an arc with center C and a distance of 1, and the answer to the second question is that the maximum distance between two points is still 1
Yankel
Hello all,

Below there is a problem:

There are five points inside an equilateral triangle of side length 2. Show that at least two of the points are within 1 unit distance from each other.

I have plotted such a triangle using "Geogebra", and attaching the picture.

I know that if I create another equilateral triangle within the original one, I get four triangles. Then, according to the pigeonhole principle, with 5 points (pigeons) and 4 triangle (holes), at least two points will be in the same triangle.

My questions are:

1) What is the geometrical reasoning for claiming that two points within a triangle will have a distance of 1 units max ? I couldn't prove it.
2) What happens if a point in the bigger triangle happens to be on the edge of the inner black triangle? Doesn't it disproof the theory ?

Thank you in advance !

View attachment 7554

Attachments

• triangle.PNG
    triangle.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 65
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

Below there is a problem:

There are five points inside an equilateral triangle of side length 2. Show that at least two of the points are within 1 unit distance from each other.

I have plotted such a triangle using "Geogebra", and attaching the picture.

I know that if I create another equilateral triangle within the original one, I get four triangles. Then, according to the pigeonhole principle, with 5 points (pigeons) and 4 triangle (holes), at least two points will be in the same triangle.

My questions are:

1) What is the geometrical reasoning for claiming that two points within a triangle will have a distance of 1 units max ? I couldn't prove it.
2) What happens if a point in the bigger triangle happens to be on the edge of the inner black triangle? Doesn't it disproof the theory ?

Thank you in advance !

Suppose there are 2 points in the triange CDE.

the largest distance between any 2 points in CDE (The points in the edges included) is 1.

to prove the same draw an arc with centre C and distance 1
DE line segment shall be in the arc and any poins in DE shall be < 1 (unless end point D or E for which distance = 1)
so maximum distance is 1

What is the distance between two points in a triangle?

The distance between two points in a triangle can be calculated using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the x and y coordinates of the two points.

How do you find the distance between a point and a line in a triangle?

To find the distance between a point and a line in a triangle, you can use the formula d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where the point is represented by the coordinates (x, y) and the line is represented by the equation ax + by + c = 0. This formula is derived from the perpendicular distance formula.

What is the longest distance between two points in a triangle?

The longest distance between two points in a triangle is the length of the longest side, also known as the hypotenuse. This can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Can the distance between points in a triangle be negative?

No, the distance between points in a triangle cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of length and cannot be negative. If the calculated distance is negative, it means there was an error in the calculations.

How does the distance between points in a triangle affect the triangle's area?

The distance between points in a triangle can affect the triangle's area, as it is one of the factors used in the formula for calculating the area of a triangle. The area of a triangle is equal to half of the base multiplied by the height, where the height is the distance between any side of the triangle and its opposite vertex.