Distance away to create the same magnetic field strength?

In summary, the question asks for the distance from a thin wire carrying a 38 A current at which the magnetic field strength is equal to a refrigerator magnet of 4.35 x 10^-3 T. Using the equation B=(μo/2pi)*(I/d) and substituting μo=4pi*10^-7, the calculated distance is 0.0017m. However, the given answer is not accepted as correct, even after trying a value that is very close.
conov3
1. Homework Statement

At what distance (in m) from a very thin, straight wire carrying a 38 A current would the magnetic field strength be the same as a refrigerator magnet of 4.35 x 10-3 T?

2. Homework Equations

B=(μo/2pi)*(I/d)
where μo=4pi*10^-7

3. The Attempt at a Solution

4.35e-3(d)=2.0e-7*(38)
d=.0017m
It says this is wrong? so I must have done something wrong.. any help would be appreciated!
Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
that's what I got too, is this an online homework? Did you try 0.00169? Sometimes they can be annoying with sig figs.

Yes, I just tried that.. and it didn't say it was correct. It usually will give me the answer if it is that close but it says that is the wrong answer.

Related to Distance away to create the same magnetic field strength?

What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a unit electric charge, moving in a particular direction.

Why does distance affect magnetic field strength?

Distance affects magnetic field strength because the farther away an object is from a magnetic source, the weaker the magnetic field will be. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out and become less concentrated as distance increases.

How do you calculate the distance needed to create the same magnetic field strength?

The distance needed to create the same magnetic field strength can be calculated using the inverse-square law. This states that the magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. So, if you know the magnetic field strength at one distance, you can calculate the distance needed for a different magnetic field strength.

What are the units of magnetic field strength?

The units of magnetic field strength are Tesla (T) in the SI system and Gauss (G) in the CGS system.

How does the shape of the magnetic source affect distance and magnetic field strength?

The shape of the magnetic source can affect distance and magnetic field strength in various ways. For example, a bar magnet will have a stronger magnetic field at its poles compared to its sides. Additionally, the shape of the magnetic source can also affect the direction and pattern of the magnetic field lines, which can impact the strength of the magnetic field at different distances.