Dispersion relation with Matlab

In summary, the speaker is studying band gaps in an experiment and is having trouble defining the stop bands using just a transmission spectrum from an FFT algorithm. They have heard about using a dispersion relation plot to identify anomalous dispersion regions, but they are not sure how to do it. They also need help figuring out which FT algorithm to use to get phase data. Finally, they are trying to convert a matrix in MATLAB into one long vector but are struggling. Another speaker offers a function to help with this. The conversation also touches on the concepts of electrons within a solid, estimating the stop band from a transmission spectrum, and the difference between acoustical and optical frequencies below and above the stop band in a diatomic lattice.
Beer-monster
I'm studying the phenemenon of band gaps in a experiment, however the stop bands are proving hard to define using just a transmission spectrum dervived from the fft alogrithm.

I've heard that it may be possible to define the band region by plotting the dispersion relation of sound waves the sound waves and looking for regions of anomalous dispersion. Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about this, does anyone have any info on this sort of analysis that could get me started?

Could someone tell me which FT alogorithm I would need to get phase data as I think the fft only give amplitude and requency info?

Oh and one last thing, does anyone know how I can convert a matrix in MATLAB into one long vector (so that each successive column is kind of added to the end of one large column) I've been trying this for a while but not getting very far.

Physics news on Phys.org
solved it in 5 mins, enjoy the function! here you go!

function out = mat2col(A)
[row col] = size(A)

for n = 1:col
out([1+(n-1)*row:n*row],1) = A(:,n);
end

Are you treating electrons within a solid as an incident beam of electrons?

If you have a plot of the transmission spectrum, I would think that you could estimate the stop band from that.

I think frequencies below the stop band in a diatomic lattice are acoustical, while frquencies above the stop band are optical.

What are you trying to find the tranmission spectrum of? What are you trying to find the dispersion ralation of? Of what are you trying to find the phase?

Related to Dispersion relation with Matlab

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of waves in a physical system. It relates the frequency and wavelength of a wave to its propagation speed and the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

2. Why is it important to study dispersion relations?

Dispersion relations are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as electromagnetic waves in different materials, sound waves in different mediums, and ocean waves in different weather conditions. They also provide valuable information for designing and optimizing systems that rely on wave phenomena.

3. How is a dispersion relation calculated using Matlab?

In Matlab, a dispersion relation can be calculated by first defining the relevant parameters, such as the wave frequency, wave number, and properties of the medium. Then, the dispersion relation equation can be written in terms of these parameters and solved using the built-in functions for mathematical operations. Alternatively, a numerical solution can be obtained by plotting the dispersion relation equation as a function and using Matlab's graphing tools to analyze the behavior.

4. Can Matlab be used to solve dispersion relations in different systems?

Yes, Matlab can be used to solve dispersion relations in various systems, as long as the necessary parameters and equations are defined. It is a versatile tool that can handle a wide range of mathematical operations and has built-in functions for solving differential equations, which are often used to describe dispersion relations in more complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using Matlab for studying dispersion relations?

One potential limitation of using Matlab for studying dispersion relations is the need for a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and equations. This can be challenging for those who are not familiar with the subject matter. Additionally, Matlab may not be the most efficient or accurate tool for solving certain types of dispersion relations, such as those involving nonlinear or chaotic systems, which may require specialized software or techniques.