Dispersion Relation of a De Broglie Wave

In summary, the conversation is about using the dispersion relation to find the group velocity and phase velocity. The first answer provided is deemed correct, but there is confusion around the substitution used in the expression for the phase velocity. The speaker clarifies that while certain relations are always true, in a dispersive medium, the equation f lambda = v = v_group is not always accurate.
Silly Sausage

Homework Statement

Use the dispersion relation to find the group velocity v_group and phase velocity v_phase.

Homework Equations

omega(k) = [(hbar)k^2]/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

v_group = domega(k)/dk = [hbar]k/m = h/m lambda = p/m = v

This isn't right.

v_phase = omega / k = 2pi f/(2pi/lambda) = f lamda = v

again... is this right?, doesn't look it but as far as I can see there is no mistake in the calc as I have doing it several times already, am I goign wrong in my physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Your first answer is definitely right.

But then, why did you substitute omega = 2pi f and k = 2pi/lambda in the expression for the phase velocity? When I substitute the expression you were given for omega and divide it by k I get v_phase = 1/2 v.

I don't think f lambda equals v here, because if omega = (hbar*k^2)/2m I get f = h/(2m*lambda^2) and if you multiply that by lambda you'll get h/(2m*lambda) = p/2m which again gives you 1/2 v.

Relations like p = h/lambda, omega = 2pi f and k = 2pi/lambda are always true, but in a dispersive medium f lambda = v = v_group is not always true, only when omega = v * k, then v = v_group = v_phase.

Hope that helps.

Wynand.

Related to Dispersion Relation of a De Broglie Wave

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave. It is often used to describe the behavior of waves in different mediums.

2. How is the dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave different from other waves?

The dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave is unique because it relates the frequency and wavelength of a particle, rather than a traditional wave. It is a key concept in quantum mechanics and helps to explain the wave-particle duality of matter.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength in the dispersion relation?

The De Broglie wavelength is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics that relates the momentum and wavelength of a particle. In the dispersion relation, it helps to determine the behavior of a De Broglie wave in different environments.

4. How does the dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave is a direct result of this principle, as it describes the uncertainty in the wavelength of a particle.

5. Can the dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave be experimentally verified?

Yes, the dispersion relation of a De Broglie wave has been experimentally verified through various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. It is a crucial concept in modern physics and has been confirmed through numerous observations and calculations.