Disk rolling down a hill with no sliping

In summary, a disk with mass m and radius R rolls down a hill with no slipping until it reaches a wall and stops. The center of mass moves as if the whole mass was centered there, under the effect of all forces acting on the disk. The equations for forces and momentum, as well as the pure rolling condition, can be used to find the acceleration of the center of mass. The static friction between the disk and slope prevents slipping and affects the acceleration of the center of mass and rotation. The mass of the disk does not play a significant role in the motion. The change in height and initial potential energy can be used to find the kinetic energy of translation and rotation. The angular velocity can be found using the radius and velocity of the
dislect
A disk with mass m and radius R is rolling down a hill with no slipping, until it reaches a wall and then stops:
zcmwywz2qy3n.png

I want to write a set of equations describing the position cordinates x and y of the disk's center of mass (point A) and the cordinates for point B.

mgsin(theta)=ma -> gsin(theta)=a -> gsin(theta)=dv/dt ; V_B=2wR ; V_A=wR

Can you help me figure this out and guide me towards the solution?

Thanks,
Sharon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The CM moves as if the whole mass was centred there, under the effect of all forces acting on the disk.
You wrote the component of gravity along the slope as force, but there is an other one, which makes the disk rolling instead of slipping. What is it?

You can also use conservation of energy to find out the velocity of the CM and angular velocity of the rotation of the disk.

If you have figured out the motion of the CM, the point on the rim performs circular motion around the CM, with angular velocity vCM/R. You have to add the velocities ; those of translation and rotation.

ehild

You mean friction?
Is it correct to say that my coefficient of friction is mew=1, giving me:
mgsin(theta) - mgcos(theta) = ma ?

using energy:
mg(h+R)=0.5mv^2

I still wonder how i am using these equations to create the connection between cordinates x,y of points A and B to time,mass,radius,height,angle ?

Ignore my last message,

1. -f+mgsinθ=mx'' , 2. N=mgcosθ Forces equations
3. -fR=-0.5mR^2 * θ'' Momentum equation
4. Rα''=-x'' Pure rolling condition

After some algebra i get:

5.1 x''=2/3 gsinθ
5.2 α''=-2/3 * g/R * sinθ
5.3 f=1/3 mgsinθ
5.4 N=mgcosθ

And as long as μ>1/3 tanθ there is a pure roll with no slip

x'=2/3 gtsinθ+x'(0)=2/3 gtsinθ , x(t)=1/3 gt^2 sinθ+x(0)=1/3 gt^2 sinθ

Now, how do I find x(t) and y(t) for points A and B ?

Last edited:
dislect said:
You mean friction?
Is it correct to say that my coefficient of friction is mew=1, giving me:
mgsin(theta) - mgcos(theta) = ma ?

using energy:
mg(h+R)=0.5mv^2

It is static friction (Fs) between the disk and slope that does not let the disk slip. Static friction is not a force of defined magnitude: it has got the necessary magnitude. The static friction decelerates the translation of the CM, but accelerates rotation.

You have two equations, one between forces and acceleration of CM:

ma=mgsinθ-Fs

the other for torque (FsR), moment of inertia (I) and angular acceleration dω/dt

Idω/dt=R Fs,

You have the condition of rolling Rω=VCM, which holds also for the accelerations Rdω/dt=a.
Eliminate Fs and you get the acceleration a.

ehild

I posted another message, can you take a look at the equations I wrotre there?

dislect said:
And as long as μ>1/3 tanθ there is a pure roll with no slip

x'=2/3 gtsinθ+x'(0)=2/3 gtsinθ , x(t)=1/3 gt^2 sinθ+x(0)=1/3 gt^2 sinθ

Now, how do I find x(t) and y(t) for points A and B ?

You have found x(t): it is the position of point A along the slope, till the disk is on the slope. It is not the x coordinate so it would be better to use s(t) instead of x(t). x(t)=s(t)cos(theta)
You get the change of y as the y coordinate of the displacement, and add the initial height: yi=h+R

For x>L1, the disks moves on the horizontal track with constant velocity.

As for the point on the rim, write up its position in terms of the position of the CM and the position of B with respect to the CM.

ehild

Attachments

• rolldisk.JPG
    rolldisk.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 422
I got another question, this dosent add up but it seems like the mass plays no role in the motion. is that correct?

dislect said:
I got another question, this dosent add up but it seems like the mass plays no role in the motion. is that correct?

It does not matter.

ehild

thanks you, you had been a great up!
now I am left with writing the x(t) equation for the center of mass while moving on the plane (x>L1), how do i approach this one?
is it correct to say that now my x(t)=sqrt(2gH)*t + x(0)=sqrt(2g*(h+R)) + 0 ?

The disk will roll further with the same speed and angular speed as it reached the bottom of the slope, and the change of height is h. The CM can not go deeper than the radius. The initial potential energy transforms to the sum of KE of the translation and KE of rotation.

ehild

the equations i wrote don't work for me could you tell me where i went wrong?
what i did was
mgh=0.5mv^2
v=x'=sqrt(2gh)
x=sqrt(2gh)t+x(0)=sqrt(2gh)t+L1

dislect said:
the equations i wrote don't work for me could you tell me where i went wrong?
what i did was
mgh=0.5mv^2
v=x'=sqrt(2gh)
x=sqrt(2gh)t+x(0)=sqrt(2gh)t+L1

That is not true.

mgh is equal to the total kinetic energy: 1/2 mv2+1/2 Iω2.

ehild

Thanks,
now i know that I=0.5mR^2, i know R,m and h
though I am not sure how do i find the ω ? is it v/R ?

dislect said:
Thanks,
now i know that I=0.5mR^2, i know R,m and h
though I am not sure how do i find the ω ? is it v/R ?

In case of pure rolling, it is.

ehild

Related to Disk rolling down a hill with no sliping

1. What is the concept of "no slipping" in a disk rolling down a hill?

The concept of "no slipping" refers to the condition where the point of contact between the disk and the surface it is rolling on has zero velocity. This means that the disk is rotating and translating at the same speed, without any slipping or sliding motion.

2. How is the speed of a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping related to its radius?

The speed of a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping is directly proportional to its radius. This means that a larger radius will result in a higher speed, while a smaller radius will result in a lower speed.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping?

The acceleration of a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping is affected by the slope of the hill, the mass and radius of the disk, and the force of gravity. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration, while a heavier and larger disk will experience a larger acceleration.

4. Can a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping ever reach a constant speed?

Yes, a disk rolling down a hill with no slipping can reach a constant speed if the slope of the hill is shallow enough. This is because the force of gravity and the frictional force between the disk and the surface will balance out, resulting in a constant speed.

5. How does the concept of "no slipping" apply to real-life situations?

The concept of "no slipping" is commonly observed in real-life situations, such as when a car is driving on a road or when a bicycle is rolling on a flat surface. In these situations, the tires are gripping the surface to prevent slipping, allowing for smooth and efficient motion.